Soundcloud Copyright?!

kingmiami

Over the past couple of days two of my tracks have been taken down they were just remixes to songs but they still took them down. Its whatever though I didn't really care about those two tracks being taken away because I could just upload them on YouTube no problem. The real problem is when my friend wanted to upload his remix to Meek Mill's "Used To Be" and was instantly hit with a copyright notification. Now that's just messed up because he actually rapped on it and he was set on just uploading it on SoundCloud for his fans to here. So basically you can't upload covers or remixes to soundcloud? Is there anyway around this? Please I need to know any information or workaround to this would be helpful.

Here the message by the way:
Copyright Notification - Case 10631098Our automatic content protection system has detected that your track, "Great Design",
may contain copyright protected content and we've blocked it from being published on your profile.

For additional information on why your track was taken down, please check
the registered email on this profile, or visit your disputes page:
copyright.soundcloud.com/disputes.

If you are the copyright owner of this content, if you have rights holder permission
to share the content, or if you believe a mistake has been made, please file a dispute
here:
copyright.soundcloud.com/dispute/soun…tes:10631098
And we will be able to quickly review the situation.

Need more info about copyright? Check our Copyright Information pages:
soundcloud.com/pages/copyright

this is one of the reasons why I encourage everyone to secure licenses or releases to use material - it allows you to do what you wish because you can show that you have permission to use the detected work - your rap on its own is unique, but if it is over someone else's existing work, then it is not; and so constitutes an infringement under copyright law as it stands as part of the Berne Convention

Last edited:
Unfortunately, what it comes down to is Meek purchased the right to use the beat, and the producer sold the rights to the beat to Meek

By your friend flowing over the beat he doesn't own, it only really depreciates the value that Meek has paid to use the instrumental.

Personally, I love hearing different rappers flowing over industry beats, some of them are amazing...but, as a producer myself, I can also see the other side. If I sell a license to a rapper and he does a song, then one of his friends uses that same beat and does a freestyle or full song to it, then I'm going to send him a letter asking him to purchase a license or remove the track within 14 days.

It's one of those situations where I can see it from both sides. Could you not produce a really similar sounding beat for him, then stick the freestyle over it? Could be the way to win this one.

JC
TagYourBeats.com

Back