Soundclick "Lease License" Asking for Shares?

ftxn

So, basically:
  1. The producer should have his music copyright protected. So the protection with the laws is there when the beat may get stolen.
  2. The "lease license" allows the buyer to the use the beat on a profitable distribution with till up to 2500 sales.
  3. The producer can ask the buyer in an email to come back to do a contract when the sales of the profitable distribution have been higher than 2500 sales.

My Question:
For how much "shares" (%) or also "points" is it best to agree on when it comes to a profitable distribution like an album in the retail?

Let's say the profitable distribution has sold more than 2500 sales and the buyer comes back to do the contract, for how much shares (%) or also "points" is it common to agree on, when the profitable distribution is for example a music album in the retail?

there is no question about points (%): it is written into copyright law that the creator gets 100% of the music, the lyricist gets 100% of the words unless they agree to give away some percentage for money or other compensation or to share credit with someone else (usually for payment up front in my books)

there are set schedules that determine how much the artist and other performers on the track get per play and per sale as a total: it was 8c for each type last time I looked - that 8c gets split between every performer equally unless there is a split sheet in play

discuss with your PRO what they recommend you should do to safeguard your income stream

this is business not fun, so do not be surprised if someone gets their nose out of joint ig you don't offer them what they think they are worth: personally, unless they are paying in advance (which is what they did with the limited sales lease agreement), they will not get a single point from me on any aspect where I was involved in the creation of the track - music, lyrics, performing, etc.

How is the calculation (when it comes to the shares) for a producer who has produced 1 track for an album with 10 tracks?

Also, may it better if the producers asks the buyer in the email to do the contract (and agree on shares) with the label when the profitable distribution has sold more than 2500 sales?

Don't get me wrong, I am basically asking how this procedure is done.

Last edited:
those calculations/figures quoted above are per song/track so on an album each track contributes the same income stream

there are others with more up to date figures who have yet to login today so look out for some more feedback/info from others

Ahh I see, thanks. I used to do music and I am looking to pick up on this again. I remember again how producers would not bother much about placements on albums of artists in other countries, even when the sales go around 80,000 because the producer himself sees a 4 digit sum of that share like $6,000 - $8,000.

Last edited:
Back