some artist stole my beat and has made a viral song

F

futuristicbeats

so recently i just found out this guy has stolen a beat from my youtube and made a viral dance song is there any way i can get any money out of it like registering it with bmi or something like that.

did you register your copyright before you uploaded it?

do you have fixed media versions of it that are date stamped?

Yeah not if you took the proper steps to copyright it, I've heard there are ways to still make it happen but you'd need a really good industry lawyer to make that happen. Next time make sure you copyright anything that you release to the world.

Whether or not you've registered your Copyright doesn't have anything to do with it. It helps, and you should always do it, but it doesn't mean that you're out of luck. Once your idea is tangible then you technically "own the Copyright". Registering your Copyright and owning your Copyright are 2 different things.

If the artist used your track and is monetizing it on YouTube then you are 100% entitled to go after them. Whether or not you've registered your Copyright, you could still have a strong case. The best bet is to talk to a local entertainment lawyer and they will let you know whether it's worth bringing litigation.

Best of luck!

:)

Back