Social Media Advice Starting From Scratch

Kritical MeSh

Hi guys i'm looking for advice on using social media platforms more professionally, and would like to hear your feedback and views on how to proceed.

I've been doing music for a few years now, and have thought about pursuing it professionally to make a living from it.

It goes without saying that social media plays a big part on the business side of things, so my question is, should I start my social media activities again from scratch?

Here's why:

The standard of my social media presence is not the best, and doesn't reflect someone who is serious about doing music professionally, it was mainly personal, "share a song, hope that people like it, follow back the odd follower and one day be a big star!"

Obviously this approach to social media wont cut it in today's competitive market, and as my biggest fanbase is no more than friends and family, I don't think this looks very promising as a career in music!

My accounts are inconsistent, my following and soundcloud plays are low and really just a mess, so would it be better to restart all of my social media activities, my name, presence and accounts from scratch?

Is it better to have a solid presence and strategy about how and what to post, and who to follow, instead of aimlessly following anyone with the hopes of being noticed?

I've heard that quality is better than quantity, especially with your network. Is it better to have 5 engaged people in your network whom you actually benefit from, instead of 1000 passive followers (although the big number of followers looks good when people click on your account).

Using social media as a business tool is a new concept to me, especially for music. I realise that this journey will take some time and I don't expect things to be easy, (like buying fans, views, ads and all that hack stuff you hear about to bolster your accounts etc.) So I would appreciate advice from someone who has got results from working hard and honestly to achieve progression in music.

Finally, if you know of any good sources of information about social media for beginners in music, or anything along those line of starting out in your music career, that would be really appreciated.

Much Thanks

I don't use social media and I don't place any substantial weight on it as far as music goes, and I don't say this as someone who isn't out to monetize what I want to do personally and thing is many of the platforms people use are more for self aggrandizing and spamming both of which are not a good look and the reality is people are bombarded with childish antics of celebrities moreso than actual showcases of "talent."

If anything don't hide your identity physically e.g. wear a mask as that is corny but do hide your Gov't name e.g. have all accounts under your artist name only. Don't do FB but consider IG/Twitter and your own professional website as at the end of the day all platforms disappear and also truth be told the concept of fans is non existent.

As for your "image" keep it "clean." Don't buy follows/followers/likes/plays/subscribes as that screams desperation. Main focus should be quality music. All else is superficial. As for making a living know what defines success for you internally as the external can, does and will disappear. Music has never been a guaranteed windfall.

Last edited:
Social media can be a powerful growth and exposure tool if you are using it correctly.

By using it correctly I mean posting "native content" and engaging with your audience.

Gary Vee has an awesome book on it called: Jab jab jab right hook where he breaks it down in detail. (Mos def check it out)

IMHO the best thing you can do is be consistent. Even if you're inconsistent. :rolleyes: At least then people will know what to expect instead of you going hard and then just falling off one day.

In regards to rebranding, I say just stay the course you're already on and devise a sensible plan to stick to.

Pick something that you can do and do it.

No excuses.

Even if its just maintaining your FB or IG page.

Also, there are tools available like crowdfire and buffer that can help you if you if you need to build your accounts and need account automation and management.

Again, just be consistent and over time you'll see results.

Good luck.

Desire Inspire, I don't think you fully grasped the context of the message so I will forgive your ignorance. Check your user name ( and take the time to understand the message) before you make rash comments. ;-)

Desire Inspire, I don't think you fully grasped the context of the message so I will forgive your ignorance. Check your user name ( and take the time to understand the message) before you make rash comments. ;-)

In other words, you have no idea what to do. I will not forgive your ignorance.

LMFAO @ these trolls begging for help and then getting mad when no one offers the keys to the kingdom. If you know so much about social media, then use it to get famous already.

Why beg for advice here and then get mad when people don’t cater to your whim?

Last edited:
"LMFAO @ these trolls". Desires Inspires, I feel sorry for you... It must be a difficult thing, trying so hard to get attention to fulfill your lack of worth to anyone... not least yourself.

I don't have much more time to continue this petty disscussion. As a final note, the least you can do is THINK before you speak nonsense (And learn the basics of Literacy/Contextual Comprehension). You should also know that it has been bought to my attention from site moterators that you yourself are indeed a KNOWN TROLL on this forum. On behalf of all the other users on FP seeking genuine advice, " Please go and troll on an alternative Forum where you might actually find some friends".

Have a nice day :-)

Back