So You Heard?

DAHTrump

DAH Trump
Apparently the "big" people of soundclick are going all exclusive or charging more for their leases. I mean charging $100 a lease. I just saw this not too long ago on twitter from people like Kriss Liss and Epik The Dawn... What you guys think?

Just saw it on twitter also, i think i'll be changing my prices as well. Idk about $100 but maybe to $50

Same here. I keep my leasing prices low ($19.99) and give out free downloads on my soundclick on purpose, but if this movement pulls through, I might raise my prices to $30-$50 and raise my exclusive prices as well.

For the record, he's still ranting on twitter.

Same here. I remember when they started the no free download movement. It sounded legit but free downloads are a really good way to promote yourself:

Someone downloads your track (even if they're not gonna use it), someone walks in the room and ask who made that & they say "your producer name" produced this & the word spreads from there. I heard from someone that's actually what helped to make people like JJ and Vybe get huge in the first place... Free downloads, promotion & spreading the word.

My whole point is don't follow them too blindly. You have to learn to make your own decisions, and trust your gut. What works for one person, doesn't work for all.

I feel you, Im still gonna keep my free downloads with my tags in them. Just gonna raise the prices on my leases and exclusives.

this could be a great thing..just watch the market closely and make adjustments along the way ..just like any other market

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Apparently the "big" people of soundclick are going all exclusive or charging more for their leases. I mean charging $100 a lease. I just saw this not too long ago on twitter from people like Kriss Liss and Epik The Dawn... What you guys think?

It's about d*mn time producers start charging realistic prices again. I'm sure the movement will continue as long as the leaders continue to set the pricing standard. Regardless of what they charge though, the beats need to go hard or go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
There are many "low end" users of music who simply want to record in their home studio or distribute locally. These types of users will usually be the impulse buyers and/or have a very small budget. That is why you want to offer a $20 license.

Part of the reason why selling on Soundclick and other beat selling sites has become lucrative is because the low budget leases allow these users to get their hands on the music and make impulse buys. But you definitely don't want to short yourself on the larger licensing opportunities that have larger dollar amounts attached to them.

So the key here is not to "go small" or "go large" with your license fees, but to do both! It's all in the terms that you set for your licensing agreement. Keep the rights very limited for the low budget leases, since those are not even going to be much of a factor in a low end users purchase decision. Then you create some more licensing price points with more rights for users who plan to use the music more commercially. Those users will pay attention to the rights granted in the license and will also have a bigger budget.

Once you've got your pre-approved licensing terms/price points set up that range from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars or even a few thousand dollars, you can offer custom quotes for other special uses on a case by case basis.

This way you have a product that appeals to the guy with $20 bucks, and the guy that has $2000 bucks.

I think some of these "supernet" producers are gonna find out the hard way what their beats are really worth. The leasing audience they provide for don't wanna pay $100 a beat. They want quick fast cheap. If McDonald's raised the price of a $1 Double Cheese to $5 that's the last thing on the menu I'd think to eat.

Its something they wanna do......If they have willing paying costumers and a great following, they kinda can bounce their prices however they want too i suppose. but if you don't have anyone buying from you like that and are not established enough as far as your brand and name, i wouldn't try doing that quite yet.

Besides..... Why do it because someone else is doing it? It doesn't guarantee you anything.

By the way...are you making a living off of your beats yet? Just a question. No harm intended.

Sound Click Page: SoundClick artist: Star Tanner Productions - I am a beat maker/ producer. I specialize in making rap, hip hop, pop, techno, and r&b instrumentals

Official Website: Beats For Sale | Buy Beats Online | Rap Beats | Hip Hop Beats

Email: startannerproductions@gmail.com

people are so conditioned to free & dirt cheap that they don't care as much for the quality you may or may not get from a SoundClick "super producer", they'll just get it from whoever else ... all else fails they gonna get an industry instrumental ... or for the people that didn't catch on yet, just record your stream & rap over it anyway

there's always gonna be some hs kids that are "hungry" & will give it up for free

Back