So I just won.....

Rob_Thomas

I just won a contest "Have breakfast with Rick Ross".
This could be one of those "once in a lifetime" moments to get my music into the right hands.
Or he could take what I give him and throw it in the trash. I'm not getting my hopes up.
Simply asking for advice.

How do I present myself?
How do I bring up the fact that I produce music without sounding like I'm desperate and blood thirsty. Haha.
How do I present my work? (CD, USB DRIVE, Both)
Any tips on how to make something out of this experience.

Much appreciation!

Wow man you really got blessed on this one!

I'm not saying this is how you should approach, just that it's how I would approach it.

First, make sure you don't come off as a "fanboy." He's probably dreading having someone swing on his n*ts and is hoping that you don't. Instead, ask him all about how he got started. Listen to what he's talking about and sound knowledgeable when you respond. It will become obvious that it's become a conversation between artists, not a fan and his idol.

Ask him questions like, "what were some of the hardships you overcame on your way to success." It'll bring him back to when he was trying to get on and will put him in a position of humility.

Finally, ask him if he has any new music he's working on with him that he'd like to share with you. If he does and is willing to share it with you, then awesome. Then ask him if he'd like to have some stuff that your working on. Now it's an exchange between artists. If he didn't bring anything with him, let him know that it's unfortunate but ask if he'd like to take your music home anyways. There's no reason he wouldn't say yes. If he genuinely likes it, he'll want to help you out. If not, then the answer is pretty clear. Make sure he has your phone number incase he thinks about your stuff in the late hours of the night who knows? A business card would be perfect for this situation.

Don't come over-prepared with a bunch of ways for him to get your production. This is potentially one of the biggest names you'll ever meet, you don't want to scare him away or De-humanize him. Any format would be fine; usb or CD. USBs are generally more valuable than CDs and it's less common for someone to hand you a USB drive. If you have enough time and really want to make a huge impression, I strongly recommend getting one of Alkota's USB drives here: http://www.acgears.com/product_info.php?cPath=168_164&products_id=3180

If I helped at all, great, I wish you the best of success! And if you get rich and famous, don't forget to shout out ol' 7eleven (haha just kidding).

-7eleven

Last edited:
Back