Which is smarter education-wise?

J

Jlope014

Hi all, this is my first post here. I am a Junior year Music Business (IDS) major with an attached track in production. My goal for the future is to produce, but I am open to other audio engineering avenues. My original plan was to go on to grad school wherever I get my first post-secondary job (or vice versa), but lately I have been looking at other options. I have been offered a 12-18 month associates program at the L.A. Recording/Film school, (and looking at similar programs), and they are telling me that their associate would benefit me more than me going on for my masters. The advantages I can see are it's proximity to the music industry and the fact that much of the staff actually works in the music industry, but I am not sure how I feel about graduating with a Bachelors and then pursuing an associate. So what do you guys think from experience?

---------- Post added 04-13-2013 at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-12-2013 at 08:09 AM ----------

Nobody has an idea? Really? Come on!

make alot of contacts no matter which way you go with your education
because once you're done with school those contacts will come in handy
you'll never know which schoolmate of yours may become in a position to get you a audio engineer 9 to 5 job or freelance audio engineer/production jobs

engage with your schoolmates

-Coach Antonio

what did your Music Business (IDS) major teacher tell you
That we all need to go to Cali, NY, TN, or FL if we want to be successful in any type of production work; and that the better known schools in these areas are well respected and provide many good networking opportunities to assist in entering the industry.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

make alot of contacts no matter which way you go with your education
because once you're done with school those contacts will come in handy
you'll never know which schoolmate of yours may become in a position to get you a audio engineer 9 to 5 job or freelance audio engineer/production jobs

engage with your schoolmates

-Coach Antonio
Yes, thank you for that advice! I actually have been meeting a lot of people, and I volunteer a lot of my time (usually running sound for bands) at various places in exchange for the experience. My ultimate goal is to produce for myself and for other artists, but I have heard interesting things about the world of post-production audio for film/video-games, so who knows!

I think you should go to take a try as you have been offered and it is a great chance to become a producer according to your dream but remember that it is your future plan and you should work hard if you do it without giving much work , you can't succeed . So I think you are your future planner and just decide according to your mind.

Back