Is is smart to make and release beatapes?

JPride

JPride Beats
I've been making beats for about a year now and i was wondering if it is smart to release beats as a beat tape and put it on datpiff or something. couldnt people just take your beats and give you no credit? but then also it seems like a good way to get exposed? what do you guys think? Thanks

the business of music is high risk industry
just make sure you register your copyrights on this instrumentals
and with your PRO
since you're going to promote using dapliff you make want to use your social network tools to drive traffic to dapliff and back to your own site where you're actually selling instrumentals

need help???
click on the banner in my sig help is here for free
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Yeah sell the beat tape for like the price of one lease and give leasing rights to the entire beat tape.. I wouldn't put it on Datpiff though just make it available wherever your beats are available.. Or you COULD just put it on Datpiff but don't do that expecting to make money off of it at that point its just a promotional tool nobody is going to want to buy the beats exclusively unless it's absolutely crazy lol.. and some people will give you credit some people won't that's just how it is..

I think it's better to try to create traffic for your actual site you are Selling your instrumentals on
as I said I can train you in this technique for free
just click on the banner on in my sig for more details

Yeah but he's not asking about how to create traffic he's asking if a beat tape is a good idea lol... As far as you know he may already get 5000 plays a day on his soundclick lol you're just trying to promote your site... You shouldn't make a beat tape if you don't already have a good catalog of music IMO so I kinda assumed he was getting some traffic already... A lot of producers have started doing the beat tapes with leasing rights and it seems to be a pretty good way to get some sales just make sure if you're using it to promote yourself you have something else to offer if someone hears the tape and wants to hear more..

It can be. Just release it as an instrumental product copyright everything and put it out there. I think its better to release EPs and albums myself. Its easier to get heard by more people than a simple beat tape which will only appeal to other people who make music most of the time.

It can be. Just release it as an instrumental product copyright everything and put it out there. I think its better to release EPs and albums myself. Its easier to get heard by more people than a simple beat tape which will only appeal to other people who make music most of the time.

I think this kind of project would be great too
like the funkmaster flex mixtapes that came out in the late 90's
but you'll be using your original instrumentals
five emcees,five song a EP
release a song a week,
and once you got five song together you can also throw it up on itunes
it's cheap to record,mix and loudness mastering
look at the collaboration section here for rapper(s) to put together a hot project

I think this kind of project would be great too
like the funkmaster flex mixtapes that came out in the late 90's
but you'll be using your original instrumentals
five emcees,five song a EP
release a song a week,
and once you got five song together you can also throw it up on itunes
it's cheap to record,mix and loudness mastering
look at the collaboration section here for rapper(s) to put together a hot project

Ive recently did a project like that. Its in my sig called I Hate Mixtapes.

do you really hate mixtapes lol.
one of the mixtapes I put together for a friend back in 2003 was called
Attack of the Beat Jackers
lol...
he rapped over so many different industry instrumentals but the songs were sick

Last edited:
It was a collaboration with a rapper. I did the beats he spit on it and decided to call it I hate mixtapes. I loved the title and ran with it. its got 500k downloads u should check it out. many are calling it a classic.

Yes it is. Its a good way to stay relevant and visible. I just dropped a beat tape and have almost recouped the mix/master fees. Once those are recouped, I'll drop another one. I'm not out to make money off beat tapes, its just something for the fans, promotion, and marketing. These are joints that had been sold exclusively to artists and released w/ their permission, so its a win / win situation. Personally, I'm a fan of beat tapes and actually buy other producer's tapes if they are dope. Love the Beat Butcha tape.

I'm about to release a beat tape myself, here's the trailer for it:

Any tips for how to promote it, should I sell it, etc?

I need as much help as I can get, thanks.

Last edited:
I've been making beats for about a year now and i was wondering if it is smart to release beats as a beat tape and put it on datpiff or something. couldnt people just take your beats and give you no credit? but then also it seems like a good way to get exposed? what do you guys think? Thanks

It's a bad idea if you your goal is to sell beats... There are better ways to get exposure than giving away your product.

Well first of all you should voice tag your beats if you're worried about people stealing them.

vocals would be better

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

and what are these better ways?

Funk Master Flex 60 Mins of Funk
get ppl to enjoy your instrumental with vocals
also research how other are releasing their beat tapes
100 Akres Beat Tapes | 100 Akres Productions
» Albums & Beat Tapes The Soul Dojo

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Last edited:
Promote your beat store, instead of advertising free beats. You can blog and give away free information on your website which also happens to be the location of you online store, if you have one. You could also run specials every so often and a give away coupons to promote sales. Another way to gain exposure is to participate in competitions and gather voters. The simple act getting people to vote for you will give you more exposure than you know. Market the fact that you're a producer and artists will find your beats; and, if they like what they hear, they'll buy from you. Make it easy for people to buy your beats.

Don't think for a second that free beats will bring customers because it won't. Instead, it'll bring people who expect every beat they get to be free. Target specific types of customers and know your place in the market. Restrict yourself to solely working with professionals who make music for the purpose of releasing it to to the public. Work with bloggers to have stories and reviews written about you and your beats. Have those articles placed on the bloggers website. Create a digital press kit to make it easier for people promote you. Get listed in directories as a producer and direct searchers to your website.

There are tons of ways to gain exposure. Giving your product away is counter productive and won't convert web traffic to customers, like so many producers think. You'll mostly get moochers who have no money due to their laziness or lack of skill. The people who buy beats are the same people who believe in themselves as entertainers and music professionals.

With the beat tapes I think the best route is to put out a tape with beats you have done for industry artist or indie artist. That way you don't care about them being used but you still gain more exposure and continue to build your brand name

With the beat tapes I think the best route is to put out a tape with beats you have done for industry artist or indie artist. That way you don't care about them being used but you still gain more exposure and continue to build your brand name

but if you sold the beat.. like exclusively.. can you do that?

Back