Signing to an imprint?

stunna919

YEAH!!....I DON'T GET IT
What's up, this may seem like a dumb question but I've always wondered how signing to an imprint works, when by definition they have no business structure and are basically brands?

Well, there are no standard definitions or situations, so I wouldn't just assume that there is no business structure or infrastructure to an imprint, but if you mean an artist-owned label directly under a major as opposed to a full-fledged indie with distribution, then signing with that imprint/artist is akin to signing a production agreement with a producer, except there is a stipulation for options/number of albums to be delivered. If you have a good lawyer, you may get a "key man" clause, meaning you can get out of the obligation to the parent label if your imprint guy or gal is no longer in the business.

GJ

Ok thanks for the info, that make sense. So imprints are like production companies, could one sign to an artist imprint without being signed to the parent label?

No, because the imprint has an exclusive standing relationship to the major. For that, you'd have to sign a production agreement.

GJ

I just had an "A ha!" moment lol, thanks man! I've never used the business forum of this futureproducers but it looks like i've been sleeping on it! Thanks again.

Back