signing to an edm or house label

matrix123

in the future I plan on trying to get signed by beatbox or a major edm label how much do labels offer and if I were signed do they decide who I work.
to mmake it simple hhow wowould sisigning to a major edm label work for me thanks for answering

as with any business venture there are swings and roundabouts: signing to a label is a marketing and distribution move (+) and a loss of publishing royalties (- to pay for the marketing provided); i.e. the label is signing you to make money for them, not the other way around. Effectively you gain access to their distribution network in return for a percentage of your publishing royalties on everything released on the label - this may or may not be a good deal for you but is most definitely a good deal for them if you are big, even if only for a small amount of time, even on residuals they (or their later purchasers/successors) will still be collecting publishing points 50 years in the future (in perpetuity in fact)....

to make money at every step and minimise your losses you may prefer to create your own label, and access digital distribution networks by using an aggregation service like cd baby

this model was able to work in the 60's and 70's and 80's for Frank Zappa (well before the CD era) because he was prepared to negotiate deals with the major labels for access to their distribution networks for a set fee, rather than a percentage of publishing.

Last edited:
Back