Should producer's take on free work?

AleksZen

Easy guys,

Just wanted your opinion on this.. I sell beats online, I make a couple of sales here and there to random artists, but now i'm at a stage where i'm fully involved with my own music and my own artists that if anyone outside 'the camp' so to speak, approaches me wanting production work, i'm gonna say I charge.

However, if a new up 'n' coming indie label which is making some grassroots noise approaches you for some beats for their artists.. should you just collaborate with them and forget about 'money' for the time being? We all know how tight fisted / broke people are in the lower echelons of the industry, so I just wanted to get all of your takes on it?

Cheers,

Al

that ones tough. im nowhere close to that level but I could see working at a reduced price if I believe in the potential of the artist but they would have to be really hot. cuz imagine you work wit the nxt meek or j cole. if its off ur tacks they come up then u just came up too

IF you stumble across a young Kendrick I'd definitely keep an eye on him and feed him beats incrementally because you never really know who will blow.

I'd do some work on spec, but never for free.

i heard that term when it comes to doing remix work... do you mean by giving them some rough work / example with the end aim of charging if they like it?

as i say this might be a label / operation where they have little to no money but they're relevant in what they're doing right about now.. gonna have to think about this one!

Not getting advance is something to consider, but you should definitely get publishing and royalties at an increased rate for foregoing immediate gratification.

you should try to get something though. If they are a legit business they should have money allocated for songwriting and production. You should try to break the bank but they would need a well thought out plan to justify not giving advance at all.

its also in their interest to provide you an advance since if the have success the advance should increase their bottom line

Spec is basically getting something later. Up to you to decide what that is.

Whatever route you do decide to choose make sure you are getting enough that it makes it worthwhile.

Find a balance. Your goal should be to provide value and receive fair compensation for your work.

Good luck.

Heck naw!

Artists can always offer something. It may not be cash, but producers have to learn how to barter for beats. A smart producer can have a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear, and a new girlfriend if he knows how to negotiate.

I think that working with people that really have potential is really good. Like someone said, if you find a young Kendrick, you should feed them some beats from time to time. But other than that, I think that you should charge for your work overall. Producing is a very time consuming craft.

I also think that the bartering idea is awesome too! It may not be money, but something that can help you out. Someone should always have something to give. Even that young Kendrick Lamar lol.

At least on spec. If you don't value your work, no one else will!

Means that if they make any money off of your work, you get a percentage of those monies

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it really all depends on your situation, and the situation of the artists. if like you say this is an indie label then you never really know where there going to end up. doing free work for them could be a very good way to get your foot in the door and get yourself more work and then when they start to gain and income charge for your work because like other people have said it takes a lot of time and effort on your part! in my opinion i say you keep your online business going and work for a label for free because at the end of the day all working hard and grinding will get you where you want to be in the end.

C H A R L I E

It takes money to live in this world.

I've worked hard to create and build a career in the entertainment business for the purpose of sustaining a livable standard for myself. This includes paying a collection of expenses such as: rent, insurance, food, gas, etc. Survival has a price tag and each of ours is different, as well as our skill levels. Therefore, I refuse to let others utilize my skills for free; a lesson learned the hard way.

It takes money to live in this world.

I've worked hard to create and build a career in the entertainment business for the purpose of sustaining a livable standard for myself. This includes paying a collection of expenses such as: rent, insurance, food, gas, etc. Survival has a price tag and each of ours is different, as well as our skill levels. Therefore, I refuse to let others utilize my skills for free; a lesson learned the hard way.

amen. if you have numbers supporting you're worth, record labels shoving contracts down your throat, other artists constantly wanting to work with you, getting played by world class DJs on their shows, and out ranking heavyweight producer/DJs in downloads by the tens of thousands, then dammit i am no longer working for free lolol. you should always get SOME kind of compensation for your efforts connecting you to your work. man free means "i'm not worth the money or time". PERIOD.

Last edited:
Back