Should I use PA or SR copyright license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRAP

Hello

I have an instrumental I created myself.
Before, giving the instrumental to artists/engineers, I want it to be copyright protected - both the recording, and the composition (i.e. so nobody can use the existing instrumental, or copy/recreate elements of it). Do I need both SR and PA licenses? That could get expensive....I've heard an SR is used by most producers with their instrumentals/beats.

If after I give the copyrighted beat to artist, and they record vocals/songwrite (at an agreed 65%-35% prod.-singer split for royalties and ownership of the final recording)....would the final song recording only require an SR license? How can this agreed split be recorded and enforced by the copyright office?

Regards,

MRAP

The Copyright Office of the Library of Congress will have nothing to do with your agreed-upon split; that is going to be up to you and having appropriate paperwork signed between you and any other co-writers/artists, etc.

Once lyrics and vocals are added and the song is released, it will technically be one piece, jointly owned by both of you. Your split is fine, just make sure it's in writing and signed by both/all parties.

Form SR will cover the recording and the copyright for the underlying work, if you fill everything out properly.

None of the above should be construed as legal advice.

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back