Should I use ASCAP or BMI? or something different??

BizziMusic

Should i register my beats with ASCAP, BMI, etc. if I just want to sell them online? If so, which company should I use??

Go to each site and read about them and pick the one that fits your needs best for some of us it's ascap for others it's bmi

i jumped the gun and registered with BMI because it was free, but honestly for selling online this stuff doesnt matter. It only matters when your working with big names (or small/upn coming) when you plan on receiving royalties from radio play, use in film and TV etc.

Last edited:
i jumped the gun and registered with BMI because it was free, but honestly for selling online this stuff doesnt matter. It only matters when your working with big names (or small/upn coming) when you plan on receiving royalties from radio play, use in film and TV etc.

Bad advice and here is why

eventhough you're just selling beats to artists you have no idea what they are capable of. Always register your work with one of the pros. Lets say you lease 5 tracks to 8-10 different artist and one of them gets the song on tv/radio or whatever by you not being registered you'll be missing out on some money

Bad advice and here is why

eventhough you're just selling beats to artists you have no idea what they are capable of. Always register your work with one of the pros. Lets say you lease 5 tracks to 8-10 different artist and one of them gets the song on tv/radio or whatever by you not being registered you'll be missing out on some money
What about the paperwork that states who owns what % of the song? What if the artist didn't set up the paperwork to get the song on the cue sheet? What if in your lease terms it says you don't collect royalties? You dont just register with BMI, register all your beats, sell them and hope they get put on cue sheets so you rack up credits. You register a song when you start WORKING with artists who have the POTENTIAL to get their songs that kind of exposure. Not hustling beats online. It costs money, so theres really no point in doing it with a lease beat. If you sell an exclusive then you might register it, because you would work out split percentages and do the formal paperwork.

I haven't ever done it before, but it doesn't sound like you have either, and if you have, youre not contributing much of your knowledge to the thread. I wouldn't go throwing my money away registering all my beats (not even a full song) with a PRO when i was just leasing them to randoms online. If you are WORKING TOGETHER with an artist who is actually making moves, then you might discuss it. Copyrights are a different story, but registering with a PRO isnt going to get any money flowing in unless the proper paperwork is done, which you mentioned nothing about.

Last edited:
Great response! Now allow me to answer these questions.

What about the paperwork that states who owns what % of the song?

There doesn't need to be any paperwork to determine who makes what from a placement although it would be nice. Let's say you lease a track to me I record a song and I get placed on oh who knows some tv show (remember just an example). Even without paper work stating what % I'm entitled by law I'm the owner of my work (the lyrics/performace) you by law are the owner of your composition. We would automatically be entitled to a 50/50 split sense their was 1. Never a contract stating such events 2. The track is placed, there is income being generated 3. The artist doesn't own the track

I've been through this which vh1 twice

What if the artist didn't set up the paperwork to get the song on the cue sheet?

Then he didn't get it on the cue sheet and if you or someone were to find it floating around out there you be entitled to a lot of back pay.Rarely does anything get placed without it being on the cue sheet but it happens here and their. I've ran into it a couple times myself

Keep in mind I said you never know what the artist will do.

What if in your lease terms it says you don't collect royalties?
Then you'd be kinda silly for limiting yourself but good point. I'd still register my work because i shop my music to gaming companies,television companies .. lions gate ent etc

You dont just register with BMI, register all your beats, sell them and hope they get put on cue sheets so you rack up credits. You register a song when you start WORKING with artists who have the POTENTIAL to get their songs that kind of exposure. Not hustling beats online. It costs money, so theres really no point in doing it with a lease beat. If you sell an exclusive then you might register it, because you would work out split percentages and do the formal paperwork

1. Ascap is free bmi is a 1 time fee of I think it was 50.00 when I signed up years ago. Registering your songs with each is also free. So with that said there is nothing wrong with creating songs and registering them with your PRO.

2. It's actually a good idea to register your work with your PRO(s) because again you never know what people will do. I've leased tracks to local artist who years later got material on documentaries. This not as you call make material,register it, lease and then get on your knees and pray one of those artist gets it placed. It's more of a caution measure to insure you are in position just incase something like this happens. Not to mention when I leased to artists (don't anymore) I stated in my contracts that I'm free to push and distribute.... because licensing is what i do my goal is getting tracks placed on tv

I haven't ever done it before, but it doesn't sound like you have either, and if you have, youre not contributing much of your knowledge to the thread. I wouldn't go throwing my money away registering all my beats (not even a full song) with a PRO when i was just leasing them to randoms online. If you are WORKING TOGETHER with an artist who is actually making moves, then you might discuss it. Copyrights are a different story, but registering with a PRO isnt going to get any money flowing in unless the proper paperwork is done, which you mentioned nothing about.

I actually do this for a living, this the meat and potatoes of my income (licensing). I'm not sure why you're mentioning how expensive this move is as it cost's nothing to register your work with your PRO (I use both BMI and ASCAP).
I didn't feel I needed to jump into any details as my main goal was answering the OP main question.

Ps I have no problem contributing my knowledge if you have more questions please do ask

Last edited:
Great response! Now allow me to answer these questions.

What about the paperwork that states who owns what % of the song?

There doesn't need to be any paperwork to determine who makes what from a placement although it would be nice. Let's say you lease a track to me I record a song and I get placed on oh who knows some tv show (remember just an example). Even without paper work stating what % I'm entitled by law I'm the owner of my work (the lyrics/performace) you by law are the owner of your composition. We would automatically be entitled to a 50/50 split sense their was 1. Never a contract stating such events 2. The track is placed, there is income being generated 3. The artist doesn't own the track

I've been through this which vh1 twice

What if the artist didn't set up the paperwork to get the song on the cue sheet?

Then he didn't get it on the cue sheet and if you or someone were to find it floating around out there you be entitled to a lot of back pay.Rarely does anything get placed without it being on the cue sheet but it happens here and their. I've ran into it a couple times myself

Keep in mind I said you never know what the artist will do.

What if in your lease terms it says you don't collect royalties?
Then you'd be kinda silly for limiting yourself but good point. I'd still register my work because i shop my music to gaming companies,television companies .. lions gate ent etc

1. Ascap is free bmi is a 1 time fee of I think it was 50.00 when I signed up years ago. Registering your songs with each is also free. So with that said there is nothing wrong with creating songs and registering them with your PRO.

2. It's actually a good idea to register your work with your PRO(s) because again you never know what people will do. I've leased tracks to local artist who years later got material on documentaries. This not as you call make material,register it, lease and then get on your knees and pray one of those artist gets it placed. It's more of a caution measure to insure you are in position just incase something like this happens. Not to mention when I leased to artists (don't anymore) I stated in my contracts that I'm free to push and distribute.... because licensing is what i do my goal is getting tracks placed on tv

I actually do this for a living, this the meat and potatoes of my income (licensing). I'm not sure why you're mentioning how expensive this move is as it cost's nothing to register your work with your PRO (I use both BMI and ASCAP).
I didn't feel I needed to jump into any details as my main goal was answering the OP main question.

Ps I have no problem contributing my knowledge if you have more questions please do ask

Cool, thanks for elaborating. Didnt mean to call you out n say put your deets out, im just trying to put INFO out so browsers can find it kna'mean? Plus to help me understand it.

However, I do still have a few problems with your latest response.

I believe you have it mixed up, ASCAP has a fee to sign up, and BMI is free. I just registered the other day.

Also, from my understanding, you cannot be under ASCAP and BMI at the same time, so how do you use both?

And finally, i apologize for stating that it cost to register the works, i WAS WRONG! lol.

Another question, say i name my beat Get Jiggy Mu****a (lol) and the artist renames the song. I registered Get Jiggy Mu****a, and the artist register Bad Man Talking (Examples), what then?

And once again, didnt mean at all to come off like a know-it-all, and i stated I had never done it before. I'm just trying to get a better understanding cause the info is not really that easily available. I guess copyrights are what cost to register, not with a pro.

Oh, and thanks for providing an experienced opinion!

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for elaborating. Didnt mean to call you out n say put your deets out, im just trying to put INFO out so browsers can find it kna'mean? Plus to help me understand it.

It's no problem fan none at all

However, I do still have a few problems with your latest response. I believe you have it mixed up, ASCAP has a fee to sign up, and BMI is free. I just registered the other day. Also, from my understanding, you cannot be under ASCAP and BMI at the same time, so how do you use both?

I always get those 2 confused. Oh there is a nice little work around for joining both all you have to do is register your business the opposite PRO you registered your SS# under :) then contract yourself :)

Another question, say i name my beat Get Jiggy Mu****a (lol) and the artist renames the song. I registered Get Jiggy Mu****a, and the artist register Bad Man Talking (Examples), what then?

Good question! As mentioned before I always register my work with a PRO because my aim is licensing. So lets say I was the artist in this case and relabeled your track for whatever reason and you found out. This is when your copyright proof would come in along with your membership ID (of your pro) and they'd simply add you onto the credits and calculate whatever back pay is owned..Most people are honest with sharing rights given you supply them with your PRO ID and contract(put that into the lease agreement). I've only had a couple of issue where people were not giving me credit and i had to go around them and claim credit

And once again, didnt mean at all to come off like a know-it-all, and i stated I had never done it before. I'm just trying to get a better understanding cause the info is not really that easily available. I guess copyrights are what cost to register, not with a pro.

Not an issue fam..

ps as far as copyrighting goes yes that can be expensive as hell only register 2-3 times year I fill the CD up (a lot cheaper that way)

Last edited:
It's no problem fan none at all

I always get those 2 confused. Oh there is a nice little work around for joining both all you have to do is register your business the opposite PRO you registered your SS# under :) then contract yourself :)

Good question! As mentioned before I always register my work with a PRO because my aim is licensing. So lets say I was the artist in this case and relabeled your track for whatever reason and you found out. This is when your copyright proof would come in along with your membership ID (of your pro) and they'd simply add you onto the credits and calculate whatever back pay is owned.. I've only had this happen a few times

Not an issue fam..

ps as far as copyrighting goes yes that can be expensive as hell only register 2-3 times year I fill the CD up (a lot cheaper that way)

Of course, since theres no limit on amount of works to be copyrighted at one time that is the best way to do it. And I see, you aim to get your tracks licensed right away, so theres really no issue for you as far as an artist goes (most of the time), correct?

And my thing is this, sorry Im not understanding, but I dont put much thought into my beat names, so I would hope an artist would rename them lol. For someone who is in my situation, what is the best thing to do? Wait until you are talking with an artist n discuss the paperwork? I really need to figure more out about this stuff. Im getting to that point where im going to have to be doing it soon.

Of course, since theres no limit on amount of works to be copyrighted at one time that is the best way to do it. And I see, you aim to get your tracks licensed right away, so theres really no issue for you as far as an artist goes (most of the time), correct?

Correct

And my thing is this, sorry Im not understanding, but I dont put much thought into my beat names, so I would hope an artist would rename them lol. For someone who is in my situation, what is the best thing to do? Wait until you are talking with an artist n discuss the paperwork? I really need to figure more out about this stuff. Im getting to that point where im going to have to be doing it soon.

When I was working with artist I put all the terms (as far as splitting % etc) and what not into the leasing contract at the bottom they would sign date and give me their ID if they didn't have one there was a sep area for them to sign off on that. I never discussed it I just threw it in the contract I figured no artist would be upset with me putting more money in their pockets unless I was trying to do an 80/20 deal but i've always been the 50/50 guy

Last edited:
Correct

When I was working with artist I put all the terms (as far as splitting % etc) and what not into the leasing contract at the bottom they would sign date and give me their ID if they didn't have one there was a sep area for them to sign off on that

Ok cool. I think I am going to continuing just hustling leases (essentially lol) and when someone is really bout the exclusive, then we get into paperwork. Which is the main reason I dont have exclusives on my page. Cause if I go down that route I want it to be 100% correct.

Also, i forgot before, you said register your business with one PRO (as in your LLC, class c or whatever you got) and then just sign yourself up to the other? Thats the work around? Whats the benefit in that?

Also, what if you are registered to BMI, but the radio station pays out to ASCAP?

Im really sorry to bombard you with questions, its just I been trying to talk to someone who actually knows for a while now. I posted a thread before and got no response. Ppl here just like to gossip and talk about jesus not business it seems lol. So yeah, much love for your time in answering!

Also, i forgot before, you said register your business with one PRO (as in your LLC, class c or whatever you got) and then just sign yourself up to the other? Thats the work around? Whats the benefit in that?

Double dip in profits. It's also something you can take advantage of during when doing your taxes

Also, what if you are registered to BMI, but the radio station pays out to ASCAP?

Im really sorry to bombard you with questions, its just I been trying to talk to someone who actually knows for a while now. I posted a thread before and got no response. Ppl here just like to gossip and talk about jesus not business it seems lol. So yeah, much love for your time in answering!

then my business would be paid but that doesn't matter generally there is a spot to place who your writers are and what Pro they belong to. Hopefully i didn't misunderstand the question

no ask whatever you like

Double dip in profits. It's also something you can take advantage of during when doing your taxes

then my business would be paid but that doesn't matter generally there is a spot to place who your writers are and what Pro they belong to. Hopefully i didn't misunderstand the question

no ask whatever you like

Ah, I figured it was for the double scoop! I was correct in saying you contract your self to one, and the formal business to another correct?

And yeah, you nailed it. I remember now that I did read that on the sheets it asks what pro they belong to and these things are somewhat universal. Thank you so much!

great thread amazing info Cyko this is what all producers should be doing
forget just pushing leases, don't leave money on the table by not licensing your instrumentals
pumpaudio
taxi
and other things out there that can provide you with a way to live off of your production company

One for free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

lol dont forget the guy who asked the questions. We need more shit like this on FP

yes we need more great information on FP
that's why I stay in this section alot more than Rap/RnB section
I gained so much information from this section and was able to give some great information back in this section
Rap/RnB section is all gossip and how music money is drying up and shifted here and there
shifted to where?? licensing and that's what Cyko was getting at
oh and asking the right questions can get your the best information
if the right ppl come along and read the thread.

Last edited:
Yeah tone i see you here a lot haha.

But yo Cyko, i just got this idea. Along with whatever i said in my last post, I had one more ? ... I remember way back when I decided to do this I got an EIN. Does that mean...I can get the best of both worlds? :D

Yeah tone i see you here a lot haha.

But yo Cyko, i just got this idea. Along with whatever i said in my last post, I had one more ? ... I remember way back when I decided to do this I got an EIN. Does that mean...I can get the best of both worlds? :D
read this Alxgry click here

after reading this you have a new view on running your production company is a professional manner, and get those tax credits which will allow you every year to invest back into your company's promotion/marketing campaign and buy new equipment,etc...
if you got any question regarding the link I post be free to ask sir..you it can be tailored to your situation as a sole p.

Last edited:
Im in college, i know how taxes on a business work, but obviously im not an expert. Im trying to talk to someone who has done it before.

Back