Should I start a publishing company? & which is better BMI or ASCAP?

mulla

Me and my business partner just started a production company. We want to sell our beats & make make royalties the easiest way. I already have a BMI so I cant really go to ASCAP now. My question is should we my business partner and I just both get our bmi's and just send our beats to hopefully get placements with publishing deals or should we make our own publishing company ? I need opinions and just tips, thanks!

i am in no way an expert when it comes to publishing i have ascap but i would assume that having your own publishing company is extremely complicated and you would probably need to bring pros on board just make sure all the shit is straight. not to mention time consuming. but why do that when ascap or bmi or sesac will handle it for you? thats what theyre here for.hope that helps but it wouldnt hurt to call someone you can be sure is a profession and ask them

Look at Ascap and Bmi and see which one fits your needs... that will determine what's best for you

Thanks to everybody whose gotten back at me! So my real question now is how do my business partner & I get paid as a company? We song write (make beats) together. Do we just both use our BMIs as songwriters on the songs we sell? can you put two songwriters on a song? I just don't get how it works with two songwriters ? We go by HDxMulla as a production team so I don't get how our company our company gets paid? If i put my HDxMulla on my BMI wouldnt I just be getting paid? How does it work if two people co-write together such as the neptunes, the bizness, or even Jaylib lol

Both of you would be songwriters. Forget the production team stuff. If you both write a song, you get half of the writers share through BMI and your partner gets half of the writers share through ASCAP.

One of you would register the song and assign 25% to writer one. The other 25% would go to writer two. You would split the publishers share 25% to you and 25% to your partner. That gives you 100%. But if you are going to have rappers or singers perform on the songs, there is no point in registering anything. Just create a draft form before the work begins. Then do all of the registering of royalty splits once the track is done.

Or you should buy and read "All You Need To Know About The Music Business". The book is easy to read and explains all of this stuff. You both need to read that book and stop bullshitting.

Hey Desire man I really appreciate the advice! I actually just got that book and started reading the from the front! You've just motivated me to finish it by tomorrow ! I just got really confused when somebody told me I should start a publishing company with my friend I work with. I just wanted to make sure we get our money the right way when we do get a good placement eventually, andl be all squared away and look professh! one last question you said my friend should sign up with ASCAP , should he? or does it not matter?

anyways thanks man, Im bouta start reading right now, Im done getting info online for today , i know this book will be pretty straight forward and give me what I need to know! Im not a total noob , I Just wanna make sure I know everything you possible can to get your money right as a songwriter

Hey Desire man I really appreciate the advice! I actually just got that book and started reading the from the front! You've just motivated me to finish it by tomorrow ! I just got really confused when somebody told me I should start a publishing company with my friend I work with. I just wanted to make sure we get our money the right way when we do get a good placement eventually, andl be all squared away and look professh! one last question you said my friend should sign up with ASCAP , should he? or does it not matter?

anyways thanks man, Im bouta start reading right now, Im done getting info online for today , i know this book will be pretty straight forward and give me what I need to know! Im not a total noob , I Just wanna make sure I know everything you possible can to get your money right as a songwriter

If he is not with a PRO (Performance Rights Organization) already, he can join BMI.

I am with ASCAP. I am registered as a writer and publisher. But from what I have heard, people wit BMI do not have to register as a songwriter and publisher. They can register as a songwriter and collect the publisher's share if there are no other claims. Call up BMI or email them and check.

Bumppp! Some good information in this thread. I was wondering the same if my wife and I should start a Publishing company but it seems as through you will end up claiming the "publishers share" % anyway when you register your work if you don't have a company,right? But Imma pick that book up myself tho and do more research.

Back