Should I register for ASCAP and BMI

Pianoman281

I got a placement on a mixtape with a rapper that is well known where I'm from. As far as business his manager has their stuff together. I was asked for my publishing info, writers and publishers name and IPI. My problem is that I dont have none of this, but I do want to receive my proper credit. Should I go ahead and register for these publishing companies now?

Definitely register for one.

If the music you make takes off, these guys [in a nutshell] are supposed to help you collect some of your earnings.

What do performance rights organizations do?

The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (“ASCAP”) and Broadcast Music, Incorporated (“BMI”) were founded to grant performance licenses and collect performance royalties on behalf of their songwriters and publishers.

- See more at: What are ASCAP and BMI? | Indablog

Last edited:
Definitely register for one.

If the music you make takes off, these guys [in a nutshell] are supposed to help you collect some of your earnings.

- See more at: What are ASCAP and BMI? | Indablog
I went ahead and went with BMI. The mixtape comes out on Friday. I understand it takes about 3-5 days for my registration to process. My only problem now is what do I tell the manager? Do I just let her know I just registered and I dont have my IPI number yet?

Back