Should I pay to be in this showcase?

axel32

Hi guys,

So I just got a notification that my beat mix was selected to be in the iStandard Producer Online Showcase. Only problem is, they're charging a registration of fee of $150. Now, I can pay for the fee with my refund check, but I wanted to know from you guys if this was a good idea to put money into? I just don't know how reputable of companies iStandard Producer and Coast2Coast are.

Here's a pic of the email: Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 12.15.44 AM.png

Hi guys,

So I just got a notification that my beat mix was selected to be in the iStandard Producer Online Showcase. Only problem is, they're charging a registration of fee of $150. Now, I can pay for the fee with my refund check, but I wanted to know from you guys if this was a good idea to put money into? I just don't know how reputable of companies iStandard Producer and Coast2Coast are.

Here's a pic of the email: View attachment 43447

Ive never heard of coast to coast live but I wouldn't do it. They selected you so now you get to pay them? I just think its backwards usually its their Business structure that only works if the producers pay $150 each. They should be smart enough to get sponsors. work on your craft! and send emails out. If your dope and consistent you will get placements.

I'd treat it as suspicious

- from what you have already written I am assuming that you paid to be considered for the showcase in the first place

- you have been taken advantage of and got lucky by having your money refunded because you made their first cut

a showcase should be done from a label perspective and should never be a case of you pay to be part of the show

Sounds like a complete rip-off.
Why are they holding the showcase in the first place if not to find the best music? If they want you there, they shouldn't ask you to pay anything, and if they don't think you're good enough, paying them $150 won't make your music any better.

Any time you pay, the benefits should outweigh the costs. Looks to me like a few random producers are gonna hear your stuff and you get youtube exposure. Might as well pay $150 to run an ad on a website to link people to your vid. Hell, I'd pay $500 to put my vid on worldstar for that(not saying worldstar is a good idea, but better money spent IMO).

- my way of thinking is simple. don't pay for a service that gets you no true results. they'll tweet your mix to 100k followers right? who's to say they are even real people it will be tweeted?!

- judges and panelists of popular producers. is that who you want your music to be judged by? better question. do you have solidified proof that these people will even be judging?

- a single video spin AND a chance to WIN a prize YOU will pay $150 for. SMH

it all sounds like a boatload of BS to me dude. do not spend money on anything that won't benefit you in a great way. promoting is not cheap. so if you are smart you'll take that $150 and keep it until you can start a real 3 month campaign to make something of yourself. after that, repeat the process. just don't quit.

Back