Should I lease beats or only sell exclusives?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys so I know this topic has been talked about in the past but its a new year and I live in Atlanta and I know alot of guys who work at studios so I'm always down there on the weekends and stuff networking and showing off beats. Basically I used to sample and after moving to Atlanta I switched to straight composition so now that I have gotten alot better with music theory and orchestrating beats from scratch I am almost at my 50 beat goal to reopen my website and setup shop. However, when I was sampling before I used to promote alot through facebook, facebook ads, google ads, google plus, twitter, instagram, etc. Where there was people I was there promoting. I always got great response and people asking for the beats but they never wanted to pay for the mp3 or wav. Even when I go downtown and go to studios I know guys who are signed to TI's label and Jeezy's label that I have given beats too and when they work they open up folders filled with beats that producers send them. And these aren't amateur tracks either, these are legitimately produced tracks by creditable producers who have worked with other artists and the beats are hot!

So with all this being said my real question is in todays age of 2017, is it even worth it to try and lease beats anymore? With my website I have it setup where you can select your license and depending on what you buy the price varies(same as everyone elses I'll bet as well) and my selections are MP3, Wav, Track Outs, Unlimited Rights, and Exclusive. However my Exclusive isn't set on a price and is always set on make an offer. I am thinking once I reopen my site with a brand new style and wave of beats and start promoting online and networking downtown, I was thinking I should just leave the exclusive rights to the track with the make an offer price as the only option for all of my beats. Then I could sift through prices and offers and negotiations and sell my beats based on what I feel like they are worth and vice versa to the customer. However just because I havent been successful with leasing mp3 and wavs and stuff doesnt mean others havent found great success. I don't want to miss out on any money or sales but I feel like maybe having all those options instead of just one option where you can make an offer has limited my sales in terms of marketing to artists. Let me know what you guys think I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks to hit my 50 beat mark and then reupload all the beats and track outs to my site and start trying to turn this thing into a full time job/living. Would greatly appreciate the feedback here guys!

I say you should sell exclusives only and don't be afraid to ask rappers about themselves i.e. what is their subject matter is one question to start with as you don't want a subpar rapper associated with your brand.

I salute you for composition as sampled beats are good for those who have the skill to do it flawlessly on a level of the greats but sampling is a legal nightmare.

Last edited:
I say you should sell exclusives only and don't be afraid to ask rappers about themselves i.e. what is their subject matter is one question to start with as you don't want a subpar rapper associated with your brand.

I salute you for composition as sampled beats are good for those who have the skill to do it flawlessly on a level of the greats but sampling is a legal nightmare.

Hey thanks for the response! Yeah man sampling is a ***** when it comes down to getting the sale and clearance. I was good at sampling I wasn't an alchemist or Kanye west though so I definitely see where u are coming from. I have gotten pretty good with the keyboard and straight composition as I have done nothing but practice and research and expand my knowledge.

How do you feel about leasing beats and have you ever done it before? How successful were you and do you feel like what I was saying about trying to lease MP3 and wavs being pointless and should be given away for free makes sense?

I'm solely an MC who would pay for instrumentals only if this were the era where record sales mattered and I don't think nor feel producers giving away free beats devalues the time put in to construct them. I don't think I'd ever care to lease beats.

Here's the short version:

Offer all the license options you've discussed and make that 1 of the many services you offer as a producer.

Keep all lanes open.

Also, the artist / producer relationship begins with the sale...

So build from there.

Good luck.

Back