Sending out Instrumental CDs. Is there a certain etiquette?

StiglitzIsDead

Hey guys so I'm at that stage where I want to start sending out beats to artists, but I was wondering how you guys go about it? Do you hunt down the artists and hand them CD's of instrumentals? Send them large Rar files over email? Or even a secure server which you can link them too?

Your ideas and experience in the matter would be awesome!

Hey guys so I'm at that stage where I want to start sending out beats to artists, but I was wondering how you guys go about it? Do you hunt down the artists and hand them CD's of instrumentals? Send them large Rar files over email? Or even a secure server which you can link them too?

Your ideas and experience in the matter would be awesome!

In my world, the days of sending out demo Cd's are done. Your smartest move would be to create a website where you can post new releases, mixtapes, videos, and more music related content to one single location. By giving out demo Cd's, you're basically saying it's okay to use your beat without giving you any credit or and other entitlements, a.k.a money; even if you ask for it.

Once you have an official website up, artist can visit your online home at their leisure. The purpose of a production website is to funnel artist through your store where you can safely demo your beats, conduct business, and make money. Your activity online will have a dramatic affect on the number of artist you work with because you've reached more people. Also, you can easily accept payments via credit or bank card by using PayPal.

I know that your new to the game which why I'm giving you so much information on selling beats. As a producer, it's easy to get caught up in the idea of talented rappers doing their thing all over our creation. Most rappers know this and use it their advantage so they can get free instrumentals to write with. And keep in mind that free stuff is often seen as worthless, which is why some stuff is free. More importantly, Cd's are expensive to give away; especially if you want them to look professional, which would include gel covers, labels, copier ink, etc.

Trust me, start a website. You'll be glad you did. :cheers:

Theres a thread on email etiquette.

But if you dont have a website. email works wonders. Make sure your tracks are of quality.

1. Label them 1 of 2 ways.
A. Rainy Days (prod. by Trill Trax) - 345-556-7890 -thisismyemail@gmail.com

B. rainy Days (prod. by Trill Trax)

2. When I send emails I use the 2nd way and then I inculde all contact info in the email. Phone #, email address (yes again) twitter (my main site)

3. DOnt have 20 links up. NO ONE is going to check them. Its annoying, it looks like spam and many people have directions to follow.

4. Dont upload 50tracks in a rar. A lot of folks utilize gmail to quikly browse. You can send snippets (Intro, Hook, Verse) or you can send the full song. I dont send the full song. I make them come back to me. If they like it that much they will contact me.

5. If your worried about theft get it copywrittern. www.copyright.gov

6.BCC people. Its more proffesional. No one likes there emails given to people they dont know. stop spam. lol

7. Ive though many times about beat cds. IMO do what you feel. I thought about pressing some up during our homecoming to give to the major artists. Never did. needless to say they never came.lol Id rather get there managers contact and then followup that way. Whose gonna listn to some beats when you got a club full of naked ******* dying to ****?! hahhaa

Back