Selling Stems

Epsilon-144

Musician and Producer
I got an email asking to buy the dry and wet stems to one of my songs. The dude is apparently rapping on the song, but I really don't want to sell them, ....but then again he's asking for the stems so he could rearrange it, etc.

Does anybody have experience doing this? If so, what are some good prices to sell the stems?

I'm leaning toward no, ...but if somebody can persuade me to, I'll think about it.

Edit/Update: We agreed to $100. I guess that's fairly good, idk.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

Did you have any agreement (in writing) regarding usage, exclusivity and the like?

Thanks man.
I gave permission to use my stems to make a remix/edit, and he can distribute his edited/remixed version. I still have the copyright to do what I want with my original song. ...is that smart?

I basically sold him the individual stems to a...fairly popular song I wrote. He can use the stems to remix, edit, mix in vocals, etc. I still have the rights to the work, but he can sell and distribute his version(s)/remixes. It's my first time doing this with stems, so I think that's okay? It was his idea and price offer so...

Even if he takes the stems and tries to sell them in a marked up sample pack or something, idc, lol I got a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Thanks man.
I gave permission to use my stems to make a remix/edit, and he can distribute his edited/remixed version. I still have the copyright to do what I want with my original song. ...is that smart?

I basically sold him the individual stems to a...fairly popular song I wrote. He can use the stems to remix, edit, mix in vocals, etc. I still have the rights to the work, but he can sell and distribute his version(s)/remixes. It's my first time doing this with stems, so I think that's okay? It was his idea and price offer so...

Even if he takes the stems and tries to sell them in a marked up sample pack or something, idc, lol I got a hundred bucks.

Yes, keeping your copyright is a good thing ~ I always make it clear that I retain copyright ownership of my beats.

Going forward tho I would include some language stating that the licensee must make a derivative work by adding vocals to the music and that the music cannot be sold, given or transferred to another party without my written consent. etc you get the picture.

:cheers:

Back