Selling / leasing electronic beats?

Y

YoungProd

Hello,

I'm producing electronic beats (EDM, House, Dubstep, Trance) since years. Beside a handful of DJ gigs at private parties and always saw it more as a hobby, so I'm not really dreaming to become some big famous DJ. Now, a friend of mine is producing hip-hop beats and sells/leases them and recently told me I just should do the same, so I could earn some good side money... uhm, sounds good, but I always thought this selling/leasing of beats it pretty much only a thin in the hip-hop scene? Do people here have some experiences with selling Eletronic beats? Who would buy these? I doubt rappers/singers would? Well, since I have nothing to loose, I'd really like to give it a shot, but I still want to try that as professional as possible, so I would be glad if someone here could give me some guidance, how to go about this... my friends always looks up on twitter for rappers who are looking for beats, but I guess I would have to promote my electronic beats in some other way?! Thanks in advance!

Best advice I can give you would be to become an active member on this site and to search the forum.

That said, there is no 1 approach to selling/licensing music.

Contrary to popular belief it takes work and resourcefulness to see real results so if you are not truly dedicated I suggest just sticking to making music vs. selling it.

Good luck either way.

Peace

Well it's not that I wouldn't be dedicated! I just always had this dilemma that I love to SIT BEHIND THE DESK AND WRITE/PRODUCE, I just have no ambitions to be that DJ, standing behind the mixer every night and rock the club. So this selling/leasing stuff sounds very nice to me. Fortunately, my actual job also allows me plenty of time to work on other stuff, too. It's more that I always thought that this selling/leasing market only exists for hip-hop?!

Back