Selling FLP's (Fl studio Projects) Remarks?

triplea3xa

Selling FLP's (Fl studio Projects) any comments/experiences?

What do y'all think on this subject? It is a good way to earn a little extra side income

Last edited:
That's an excellent way to get sued.

I'm talking about selling instrumentals that I created and had the beat copyright to sell for people to learn from etc. Can you please explain how this can turn into a case of getting sued?

I'm talking about selling instrumentals that I created and had the beat copyright to sell for people to learn from etc. Can you please explain how this can turn into a case of getting sued?

That's different. I thought your title said remake, which is associated with other people's work. If you feel comfortable selling your Project files, then go for it.

Last edited:
That's different. I thought your title said remake, which is associated with other people's work. If you feel comfortable selling your Project files, then go for it.

I see how I could have been misinterpreted and I tried to change the title. I just wanted some peoples opinions on the matter and their experiences in this case

I see how I could have been misinterpreted and I tried to change the title. I just wanted some peoples opinions on the matter and their experiences in this case

Well, people's opinions are going to go 1 of 2 ways.

Those who say, "it's your music, go for it" or those that say "no, not giving my project files away". What it boils down to is this. Do you really want your techniques out there? What you risk is being easily ripped off style and sound wise. What you gain is a income.

Weigh the options.

Last edited:
Well, people's opinions are going to go 1 of 2 ways.

Those who say, "it's your music, go for it" or those that say "no, not giving my project files away". What it boils down to is this. Do you really want your techniques out there? What you risk is being easily ripped off style and sound wise. What you gain is a income.

Weigh the options.
Thats a stupid opinion.
This is music, nothing wrong with sharing techniques-thats how people learn. You practically share your techniques when you put out a song. Not like most of this HASN'T been done before or can't be deciphered by a person with trained ears. If everyone bought into that stupidity, we wouldn't have music teachers or sheet music to learn from. Hell, anyone worried about being ripped off stylewise should not bother recording anything.

Thats a stupid opinion.
This is music, nothing wrong with sharing techniques-thats how people learn. You practically share your techniques when you put out a song. Not like most of this HASN'T been done before or can't be deciphered by a person with trained ears. If everyone bought into that stupidity, we wouldn't have music teachers or sheet music to learn from. Hell, anyone worried about being ripped off stylewise should not bother recording anything.

Everyone thinks differently can't hang them for it.

There are certain techniques you can pick up by listening and others that must be seen via project file otherwise you'd never know x sound or layer was built.

There's a lot of selfish people out there, can't say I blame them for their choice

Trip. I'm very interested in this. It's a coincidence that I just started to look for people selling there FLPs about a day or 2 ago and then I search again today and Voila! you've made a post. You really could help people out man. I know sometimes when I hear something that sounds complex/or is really pleasing to my ear I'm like MAN! I wish I could see how they put that together. But that's the thing I would have to be interested in the sound of your music, or it would at least need to be complexed enough for me to want to spend my money on to see what techniques were used so that I could incorporate into my own music. But even if the beats of the FLPs are more on a basic level it could help newbies out if not anyone else. I'm definitely interested though and thinks it's a great idea that could render you monetary benefits.

To chime in on what Cyko said... I actually, to an extent, agree. It will certainly make it easier for people to "steal" your style/sound...

I believe that if you're going to go the route of selling FLP files, then you should position yourself (your brand) as a low value producer who helps his fellow producers...

If you want to be a high value brand, then you're probably best not selling the files.

YOU COULD sell the FLP files from your earlier beats, and as you build a better catalog of music, sell the older files... In which case, you're probably not being helpful to producers, and you'd still be cheapening your brand.

But hey, that's just my stupid opinion.

Cheers,
Jordan

To chime in on what Cyko said... I actually, to an extent, agree. It will certainly make it easier for people to "steal" your style/sound...

I believe that if you're going to go the route of selling FLP files, then you should position yourself (your brand) as a low value producer who helps his fellow producers... [/QUOTE]

I have 2 channels one where I sell beats and one where I help producers. I was thinking just doing basic files for sale and making a advance series eventually to build of that.

If you want to be a high value brand, then you're probably best not selling the files.

YOU COULD sell the FLP files from your earlier beats, and as you build a better catalog of music, sell the older files... In which case, you're probably not being helpful to producers, and you'd still be cheapening your brand.

In that case I'll just make new beats to sell and keep my catalogue off in that case just to teach the the techniques.

Trip unless you keep everything basic and/or create material that's different from your style you will still end up allowing people to learn. I think it will be pretty hard to step in that lane unless you're willing to let your techniques out and willing to take the risk of others having the same style as you. You will naturally make beats in your style 9 times out of 10 so that will be hard to avoid. Only way I can see you being successful with it, while not letting people in on your style is to do remakes. Which you guys already discussed what you thought could happen if you go that route.

I have 2 channels one where I sell beats and one where I help producers. I was thinking just doing basic files for sale and making an advance series eventually to build off that.

Well, if you are using a personal brand (yourself) on both You Tube channels then it's going to be hard to do what I'm about to recommend:

But, djhood mentioned that you could try creating a different style (a more generic sound ie you copying the style of whatever is hot) and then sell it to your producers channel under a different brand (so they don't ever need to know it's you, Triple A, the producer)...

That COULD work. I'm just spit balling ideas though, it's up to you to find solutions to your problems.

Question... Is there even a market for selling FLP files?

Cheers,
Jordan

I believe it is Exclusivo. I mean there are a lot of people out there who would love to be let in on the different techniques that producers use. A lot of the young producers are on FL studio and if they can find a short cut to learn how to make beats, they will truly be down for it.

Well, if you are using a personal brand (yourself) on both You Tube channels then it's going to be hard to do what I'm about to recommend:

But, djhood mentioned that you could try creating a different style (a more generic sound ie you copying the style of whatever is hot) and then sell it to your producers channel under a different brand (so they don't ever need to know it's you, Triple A, the producer)...

That COULD work. I'm just spit balling ideas though, it's up to you to find solutions to your problems.

Question... Is there even a market for selling FLP files?

Cheers,
Jordan

What about plug-ins that you use for your beats and whatnot? What if the person you sell your files too doesn't have those plugins? You may as well track your beats out and sell them. I would rather retain my master's though.

That's actually a good point... Although nowadays people mostly have everything or can get everything that's out there... But that's a whole other conversation right there...

What about plug-ins that you use for your beats and whatnot? What if the person you sell your files too doesn't have those plugins? You may as well track your beats out and sell them. I would rather retain my master's though.

Back