Selling Beats a problem now?

G

Alright so id like a few opinions from you all. Now I know that some people give there beats away for free for exposure and whatnot. While others sell them firsthand. I understand both reasons. But the other day Producer Nittibeatz was tweeting and basically saying that producers shouldnt give away there material for free on these mixtapes. Basically charge and he said some other things...but anyways how do you all feel?

Personally I believe its much easier to sell beats through a site (like your own domain or soundclick) only because its easier to "lease" and buy beats from.

I believe you should do all three for a 12-16 months and see which options work better

and I would add another option find a songwriter to work with
and starting pitching for songs on your site
register your copyrights to protect all four options

I believe you should do all three for a 12-16 months and see which options work better

and I would add another option find a songwriter to work with
and starting pitching for songs on your site
register your copyrights to protect all four options

So do another trial? I mean ive been on/off leasing/exclsuive etc for a little while now. I dont lease at all. My exclusive rates are low (considering)

As far as reference tracks I've beeen familiar eith it for some time. Just never started it up.

Its just artists are so cheap these days and have this persona like "Ill never buy beats for mixtapes." But if you look at it, mixtapes ARE THE ONLY avenue for most of these cats. Drake blew up from his mixtape and though he had "40" as his main producer he still invested money in that project.

So do another trial? I mean ive been on/off leasing/exclsuive etc for a little while now. I dont lease at all. My exclusive rates are low (considering)

As far as reference tracks I've beeen familiar eith it for some time. Just never started it up.

Its just artists are so cheap these days and have this persona like "Ill never buy beats for mixtapes." But if you look at it, mixtapes ARE THE ONLY avenue for most of these cats. Drake blew up from his mixtape and though he had "40" as his main producer he still invested money in that project.

yeah I ran into with offering consultant services for artists...they are cheap..that's why you should get into a working relationship with indie labels
alot of these indie labels are started by mid-successful artists,or funded by lotto winner (lol),but yeah alot of indie labels have a decent size budget
so research the company and then cold call them up and ask for a businesss presentation meeting

yeah I ran into with offering consultant services for artists...they are cheap..that's why you should get into a working relationship with indie labels
alot of these indie labels are started by mid-successful artists,or funded by lotto winner (lol),but yeah alot of indie labels have a decent size budget
so research the company and then cold call them up and ask for a businesss presentation meeting

Its crazy how it all works. Thats why I study more and more of the business side. Music is music. Indie labels i thought about as well. lol But i never wanted to say be signed to this company, I prefer freelance. Plus now that I have my own artists Im not looking to join any other "brands."

Its like okay I sell a beat exclusive for $100 people say thats high?! I dont get it, because them J's you rockin cost at LEAST $120 or them Derek Jeters another $120 - $180 easily. But its never a steady process its all similar to fishing. You may go catch a lot at high tide early morning, doesnt mean youll get the same the next day using the same tools adn bait..etc.

artists don't seem to see the value in instrumentals
the value of the shoes are this "dang dude got swag"
artist are usually are crazy about image

the hardest part is showing them the value of chosing your instrumentals
present some number to them..because money open eyes
show them hey look at this artist who chose my beats they first mixtape sold 5,000 units
and their second mixtape produced by me sold 20,000 units
and they use the same budget on each album
I mean you have to find the data yourself and put together a nice presentation
a true artist,indie label and/or a artist manager will see the value in that

This is very true. Apperances are all feministic these days. The world has gotten to sensitive imo. I mean i personally dont need a $500 vneck, some $300 shoes, $15k woroth of jewelry in order for my to make great music. As long as im comfortable. Im in the studio for longs hours in front of a screen or some equipment. Who the hell cares what my chain looks like?! Its 4AM!

I try to instill these traits when I do email blasts and tweets. To try and teach artist, producers, engineers the type of characterisitcis that work in ANY field they work in. None of the cats are putting out albums and actually putting real money behind a single they create. The most they pay is possibly studio time ( and they go cheap on that) and maybe CD duplication.

Although most mixtapes are free, that doesnt mean they cant charge. If you have 500 fans and sold your tape digitally online for $3 thats $1500 cash. Not including singles as ringtones or general songs. If all the producers stopped making records...there would be no artists.period.

Back