Selling Beats Online...Help?

To be honest It seems like the majority of "music traffic" has shifted [or is shifting] to Soundcloud. I finally decided to delete my Soundclick account as well as other accounts from other online beat selling sites because I felt like I was just wasting my money and time with their subscriptions and all the free download offers.... smh

Plus I've been having more success lately on Soundcloud anyways due to the positioning of my account so I guess you could say the time for change was "in the air".

As a matter of fact I am currently offering probably one of the best Soundcloud promotions for producers online too. Kinda "spreading the love" if you will..lol...If you are a producer you may wanna check it out: Click this link here and see what I'm talking about.

Your own website with your own beat selling system, don't depend on other website to sell your beats 100%. I'd use other websites to entice people to come to your own website. Having your own website helps with branding.

Selling beats online is tough no doubt but you have to hang in there.

All the success to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice in this thread I get a lot of rappers that rather work with me (meaning not to pay but just make a song together) as oppose to them buying an instrumental

Good advice in this thread I get a lot of rappers that rather work with me (meaning not to pay but just make a song together) as oppose to them buying an instrumental

That's because of how the market is...soo many producers out there saturated the game with Free Downloads like on Soundclick for instance. Buf if you got a good product and brand yourself effectively you can still get people to pay up.

You guys can ignore my last post as I've stopped providing that promotion.

But I can't stress enough that you guys who are trying to build a solid presence online should primarily focus on building your business around your own website. All of these other sites should just be extensions of your business.

Because when all is said and done, you want your music to remain the focal point of your visitors visit.

With that in mind, I'm gonna help y'all out and go over a few basic things to help you get pointed in the right direction in setting up a website / beat selling site.

If you want to get started with your own beat selling website click here to read the full article.

I've moved on from the idea of selling beats online, i personally believe that the more saturated the market is the less chance there is to make a living from it.

I have re focused my attention into finding rising indie artists and trying to work with them. Having said that there's no reason why a producer can't do both (indie and leasing)

PJL

You can't go wrong by selling on your own website, but it does mean that you need to market things harder by yourself. That said, you won't have the problem of non payments, and you get instant access to any money you make (although you should hold on to it for a while in case any disputes arise).

But as you will have more control, definitely go for your own website.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong by selling on your own website, but it does mean that you need to market things harder by yourself. That said, you won't have the problem of non payments, and you get instant access to any money you make (although you should hold on to it for a while in case any disputes arise).

But as you will have more control, definitely go for your own website.

Well I used to work with Rocbattle.com. That is the issue that had many not get their money right away. When the site launched in 2006, they paid instant with request. Then you start getting chargebacks and the game changes.

They have a system now where it goes directly to you paypal. So you have to deal with charge backs.

Selling beats online is not a joke. Duh, of course there's competition why wouldn't there be? And stop generalizing how all rappers conduct business based on your experiences. With the right marketing you will reach a plethora of serious rappers all over the WORLD. C'mon son... get your grind on, invest in marketing, outsource, do whatever you gotta do. plenty of people make a living off this shit.

i Agree With Building A Personal Relationship With Artist & Collaborating. That's How I Sell Beats.. & I Only Use Sites Like Soundclick So I Can Have A Place Online For People To Go Hear My Beats.. The Only Artist Who Come Find Me For Beats Are Ones Who Have Heard My Beats From Another Producer Or Artist.

Also, every time you see a paypal notification on your gmail, don't just sit there and be like, "Yeah, i sold a beat...". Get in contact with that person, try to offer him custom beats or beats that are similar to the one he/she just purchased. And if you have a mailing list, make sure you get that person to join it.

How To Sell Beats Online

Last edited:
Can someone explain different ways to market without spamming???

There are a few ways. Working with vocalists who have a bigger name than you is a good idea. Give them a free production or two to vocal, in exchange for them promoting your name along with the song. Ranking for related keywords people search for in search engines (e.g. buy hip hop instrumentals etc) is a good long-term strategy if you know how to do that. Getting your beats on stock music websites is also a good idea as they have natural traffic which may find what you're offering.

There are other ways too, I've covered some in my guide on how to sell your beats online. There are other marketing tips on that site too, so have a look around and join the newsletter for the good stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of great information in here, (a lot of not so great info in here too though). You would have to be extremely ignorant to not recognize the fact that there are literally MILLIONS of producers making music now. And guess what, there not making music because they dream of making music whilst holding down a full time 9 - 5 job.

Pretty much all of them are trying to drop the full time job to sell the beats the make.

So oh no everybody! Let's Panic! That means the whole thing is over saturated!

WRONG!

Waiting to be discovered is, yeah sure,
it always has been though so nothing new there.

Literally I could go on forever but this is turning into quite a long post already so I am going to share with you 5 things that will set you straight no matter what the current marketing trend is (twitter etc) in what ever year you are in right now.

1. Wide Distribution - Easy access is a must and you should be distributing your products as wide as you can.
2.Content Trails - Have pieces of content all over the net, all trailing back to your website. You should be leaving a cyber trail everywhere
3. Engagement Marketing - The art of working a story into your business and keeping people engaged
4. A Human Brand - Speaks for it's self
5. A strong reason to spend time with you

I could go on but I think I will leave it there.

Peace!

Last edited:
Back