Selling Beats Online - Having Own Website VS. Soundclick, Soundcloud, etc.

MooseTracks

Hey all!

I decided to make a video explaining the benefits of having your own website for selling beats online as opposed to just selling beats online on platforms like Soundclick, Soundcloud, MyFlashStore, etc. Check it out and hope that if you are just starting out that you take this advice seriously!

If you want a better explanation, I discuss this topic a little more in depth on my blog so you can click this link below to check that out!

Selling Beats Online - Tip for Producers | Produced by Moose Produced by Moose

Hope this helps you out! Stay blessed.

Preaching to the choir. This has been my advice since day one. It falls on deaf ear's because most people who come in this game want an EASY QUICK BUCK. They don't want to apply money to invest in themselves.

Right, so many artists have contacted me looking for FREE beats constently. It's like if you can't take yourself seriously and invest, how do you expect anyone else to? If you really wanna be sucessful, take calculated risks and invest in the craft. I appreciate your opinion bro much respect!

Right, so many artists have contacted me looking for FREE beats constently. It's like if you can't take yourself seriously and invest, how do you expect anyone else to? If you really wanna be sucessful, take calculated risks and invest in the craft. I appreciate your opinion bro much respect!

The "artists" that I don't get are the ones that download the tagged beat and then rap on it and then ask if they can use it for a project and say "ill give you credit"... #fail

I understand that we all gotta start somewhere and rapping over tagged (or popular industry) beats is where most cats start but if you want people to take you seriously you've got to know where to draw the line...

#jusSayin

Not that your advice is bad, it wasn't. Though I don't think you argued all your points succinctly/clearly, anyone with sense will know what you're saying. (Ie the point about down times)

But what I don't understand is that you're a producer... Writing a blog for producers... Trying to sell beats to... Artists?

Why are you trying to attract a readership of producers and not artists?

Sorry if it's a bit off topic, it just bugged me.

Things to add that i think you may have missed in your video (and maybe article - ive yet to read it) are:

1. You have complete control of content... Which will drive targeted traffic to your website...

And 2. You have complete control of what you do with that traffic... Whether you want to funnel that traffic in to a sale and those who arent ready in to a newsletter to convert in to a sale later... You get the idea.

Sorry if you did raise those points. I think they are vital, so I'm sure it won't hurt repeating.

Cheers,
Jordan

I appreciate your opinion. Yes I am a producer selling beats online but at the same time I am trying to help others as well. I didn't go way in depth because I could have gone on for hours talking about what you should be doing to sell beats. Things that I have learned by INVESTING in a marketing group to learn. If it bothered you then I apologize.

This is only one topic that I have talked about as well. I also have made a video explaining to artists some easy tips that should be utilizing to help get their music noticed online as well as engaging with others when trying to network and build up their brand. So no I am not just trying to look for a quick buck. I want to help others live their dream as well.

I will also be continuing trying to give advice to ARTISTS and PRODUCERS in the future. Being that this is a producer forum, I thought this video would be a good spot to share it on.

I appreciate your opinion. Yes I am a producer selling beats online but at the same time I am trying to help others as well. I didn't go way in depth because I could have gone on for hours talking about what you should be doing to sell beats. Things that I have learned by INVESTING in a marketing group to learn. If it bothered you then I apologize.

Well, firstly... You were talking about why a website is a must-have to selling beats, not selling beats generally. So you wouldn't have gone on for hours - not if the video was well structured anyway. Some of things you said weren't delivered clearly. That was my point.

It didn't bother me too much, as like I said, any one with sense would've known what you were trying to say but beginners who don't know why downtime is so important and the difference between having a website YOU control and a soundclick which can be taken away at any moment (through a ban, hack, server downtime, whatever) may not have understood.

In future, I think you should take more time, write a few bullet points about how you are going to deliver your point clearly. And bam, no one will be at risk of confusion.

This is only one topic that I have talked about as well. I also have made a video explaining to artists some easy tips that should be utilizing to help get their music noticed online as well as engaging with others when trying to network and build up their brand. So no I am not just trying to look for a quick buck. I want to help others live their dream as well.

Good, I'm glad you realise the importance of attracting an audience centred around artists rather than producers. I was worried you were trying to sell beats to producers and had got your marketing mix all wrong. In future though, I think you should definitely concentrate more on attracting an audience of artists rather than producers... Though I understand you are trying to be helpful to producers too... It'll confuse your artist readership that you build. They'll think "This information is irrelevant to me. I came here to buy a beat and improve my career, not learn how to sell a beat."

Sorry if I offended you with any of this, I'm just trying to be helpful as possible. I'll have to check out the rest of your website some time next week. Do you mind if I PM you if I come across anything I think you can improve?

No worries bro I appreciate the conversation and your opinion that's what this website is for and what it is about. I may not agree with everything you say but I respect what you have to say. You are always welcome to check out the website and let me know your opinion and what I could be doing better as well! Here is my email if you want to contact me directly and get a faster response as well. prodbymoose@gmail.com!

Definitely, everyone has the right to their opinions so if you disagree with anything I've said... No hard feelings.

Will do. I look forward to reading some of your posts in a couple of days.

Cheers,
Jordan

Though I understand you are trying to be helpful to producers too... It'll confuse your artist readership that you build. They'll think "This information is irrelevant to me. I came here to buy a beat and improve my career, not learn how to sell a beat."

What he can do is what I did also. He can have two separate youtube accounts and one is to sell beats and one is to help producers and just simply separate them on the mailing list to get the best of both worlds.

What he can do is what I did also. He can have two separate youtube accounts and one is to sell beats and one is to help producers and just simply separate them on the mailing list to get the best of both worlds.

Yep, you are right. He can segment. Although, IF you have no plan to create an income stream with the producers, then there's no point creating content for them UNLESS you want to give back value (which is absolutely fine, but it won't make you money).

I wrote a post about segmentation last week, so here's a link if you'd like to check it out.

Cheers,
Jordan

Not bad advice but I agree this will only bring you people not interested in buying beats. You are just aiding your competition.

hey bro, you have people like Exclusiveo in the thread talking about "it bugged me", which tells me you are definitely doing the right thing because to me, the way he is trying to correct and add onto the points that you make, makes him sound like someone who wants to be a know it all and just the tiniest bit jealous (why was he thinking so hard and passionately about you in the first place??). You are obviously provoking a reaction in people. You make some good points and i would defiantly agree it is vital to have you own website and you would have to be pretty backwards to think other wise so it is a good video bro just makes me laugh that someone can say "it bugged me", its like bro, why do you feel so passionate about a bro just tryna do his thing online! Who knows, maybe he was just trying to help you but the language he used in the first reply was very negative just keep at it bro forget all the jealousy my brother!

And another point for those who say you are aiding your competition.... They clearly do not realize that selling beats online means your are selling beats on the WORLD WIDE WEB! Meaning you are joining the WORLD WIDE WEB of music producers who are doing the same thing (i.e. selling beats) so no you are not aiding your competition. It is the way the internet works. This isnt create some beats and try and go it alone to sell some beats for $20, it is make some beats and then join the WORLD WIDE WEB of music producers who are doing the same as you so that you can share and distribute website traffic etc . Some people lol! No bro you are not aiding your competition and I am surprised at how people react to someone who is just trying to help other people. Moose keep at it !

Back