Selling beats and music.

ProducerJC

IndieHost
I'm beginning to seriously wonder, "Who here, is actually making a living in the music industry?" It seems that most of the people who offer advice to those who want to be in the music industry are hobbyist at best. This is dangerous because it sets false expectations, set by those with little to zero real experience, for up and coming producers.

For the most part, FP members are comprised of people with little to no need for making money in the music business. If you live with parents who pay most or all of your living expenses, you don't have a real need to make money; and, when you do, you’re more likely to work outside of the business than in. In other words, you'll find it easier to get a job at a grocery store than in the music business. So here are some tips that should help you find your way to getting paid for making, promoting, marketing, producing, and performing music.

Take yourself and music seriously.
Music has become a product used by businesses and companies that invokes emotion in television and movies. It's also used to lighten the atmosphere of any given social gathering, or party. No matter how you looking at it, the best parties play the best music. Therefore, it's important to become the best music maker possible; and, in order to do that, taking yourself and music seriously.

Receive compensation for your work.
This seems to be a sticking point for most, usually because there's a certain kind of fear associated with asking for money. After all, you're expected to give something in return once you take a man’s money. The exchange is expected to be of equal value and most people see little value in music; yet these same people wouldn't make it through the insanity of their lives without it. Never forget these facts, music takes time to create and time is money. Get paid for your work.

Make yourself more available.
Even if you're a professional, you're not the only professional in the world. Get yourself a map and target specific areas you want to be known in. This is one of many goals associated with going on tour. On the other, you don't need to be a touring musician to become known in areas outside of your town. All you really need is internet access, an open mind, and strong work ethics. Make yourself available to others and they’ll take advantage when they’re ready.

Become involved with your community.
Community support is critical for all businesses. It's our communities that spread the word about the latest and greatest news, and every local community has one centered on music. Local involvement is a strong way to solidify your business, or company, as a contributor. It shows that you're willing and able to give back to the community. Those who fail to get involved in the community will find themselves struggling harder than community insiders.

These are just a few tips to help you in your music career. I've been a music producer since 2003 and have established business relationships with some the most active people in the biz. Those who know me, know I'm not much of name dropper because I want my work to bring people to me, instead of the names of my clients. Believe what you want, all I can do is share my experience. I hope this information proves helpful to you and yours.

God Bless!

Agreed. I make 100% of my income from music--bought me my house--and I still wouldn't even pretend to give people advice. :)

I don't know how to get people to WANT to support me...

Start by doing things worth supporting.

Stay involved with the development of your music making skills. Get more involved with the community and helping others. Become a person of value by doing valuable things. And lastly, try to express confidence, even when you don't have any. You'll need to meet a ton of people as often as possible for a while. Eventually, you'll establish a group of friends comprised of music professionals and others. Charge everyone for your service, unless your doing an occasional charity event; even family. Look at it like this...

Family and friends who care about your well being won't ask you for your professional services for free. After all, it's similar to taking money out of your pocket if they do. At that point, your well being is not their interest at all. They're only concerned with getting what they want at that moment, regardless of how it affects you.

Start by doing things worth supporting.

Stay involved with the development of your music making skills. Get more involved with the community and helping others. Become a person of value by doing valuable things. And lastly, try to express confidence, even when you don't have any. You'll need to meet a ton of people as often as possible for a while. Eventually, you'll establish a group of friends comprised of music professionals and others. Charge everyone for your service, unless your doing an occasional charity event; even family. Look at it like this...

Family and friends who care about your well being won't ask you for your professional services for free. After all, it's similar to taking money out of your pocket if they do. At that point, your well being is not their interest at all. They're only concerned with getting what they want at that moment, regardless of how it affects you.

Couldn't agree with you more. The key is to help others and stay connected with people and show that you respect them. You cannot achieve anything if you look like you're just in for the money. If you start making music and expect to get paid right away, you're in for the wrong reasons. The money will come, eventually if you do the right things and don't be too greedy. At least don't show that you're greedy.

Back