Selling beats, Exclusive rights?

wavygrvy

I have heard that what producers do now days is sell exclusive rights? isnt this a huge no-no? arent you supposed to just sell the exclusive LICENSE? meaning I keep the copyright they can just use it exclusively. I'm talking about selling beats online by the way. How would this work if an artist with a label or a label itself wanted to buy the exclusive? Would I be selling them the exclusive LICENSE? or do they want the exclusive RIGHTS? Also, how would I tell them I want 50/50 publishing and so on(writers share/royalties)?

I have heard that what producers do now days is sell exclusive rights? isnt this a huge no-no? arent you supposed to just sell the exclusive LICENSE? meaning I keep the copyright they can just use it exclusively. I'm talking about selling beats online by the way. How would this work if an artist with a label or a label itself wanted to buy the exclusive? Would I be selling them the exclusive LICENSE? or do they want the exclusive RIGHTS? Also, how would I tell them I want 50/50 publishing and so on(writers share/royalties)?

I've written lyrics for producers as a work-for-hire with a buyout fee, so technically I've sold exclusive rights to those lyrics. So even though I am a copyright author, they are the full copyright owner.

I'm assuming it's the same for instrumentals – sell a license or charge way more for the exclusive [copyright] rights, because you'd be giving up rights to royalties.

Let me know if you find out for sure!

Jay

Back