selling beats

Start selling on the streets of your home city. whenever you go to a show (which you should be doing on the REG), make sure you hit the DJ, radio reps, etc. try to get in good with the owners of the spot.

Make sure that you are on your grind and think business every time you step out of the house. Although I do make money from selling beats, I have yet to dive into the leasing process of beats. I just sell them straight up or print copies of contracts, that insures people get me my back end money. Those are really the only two things I do.

Hit up smaller publishing companies and read what they do for artists. ascap will only deal with huge numbers if you are really out there, not to say that they won't deal with you.

make sure your copyright info is up to date and make sure that you are in a place to maintain constant contact with the people you are selling to.

They may want to come to you again or get you gigs in the future, if that's what you are looking for.

Selling beats is hard and it sucks really, really bad though in the end, because there is not a lot of money in doing it and there are rarely people are that are making a living just and only selling beats.

You have to be able to properly and thoroughly mix and produce songs and be on your stuff about studio jargon, from crescendos to whole and half rests.

Producers make the real money. the ones who's hands are the last to touch the final product before it's shipped, shopped around to a&r's or sold. I mean, getting in the streets yourself and just selling, selling, selling.

The industry is WAY different from just a few years ago. we are back to the Wu-Tang standard now. every man for himself. out the trunk, backpack, hitting shows, throwing parties, etc.

Get your grind on.

The video streaming giant that is Youtube is now the world’s jukebox, a customizable replacement for both MTV and radio, a deep musical archive, the #1 search engine for music, the #1 music discovery tool online, and much more all available on your smartphone. So it’s hardly surprising that artists are now earning so much in YouTube ad revenue. CD Baby pays hundreds of thousands of dollars a month to indie musicians for the usage of their music on YouTube. Sell hip hop beats for sale.
One interesting and encouraging thing about the amount of revenue artists generate on YouTube is that people who’ve monetized their music are actually earning more from fan-created videos (also known as ‘user-generated content,” or U.G.C.) than from the official music videos they’ve uploaded to YouTube themselves.
The modern music industry is now built on a social economy. What your fans do with your music has real value, you’re not going to earn nearly as much per usage as you might if the same song were licensed for a Coke commercial. Instead, with YouTube, it’s all about volume and time since the videos that use your music will be up on YouTube for quite a while. When your fan community is empowered to take social action with your music, you make money. you can find the rest of this article at www.faithbeatz.com

Last edited:
First things first, make your product available on every medium. Create a brand that is uniform through all social and music platforms from soundcloud to IG. Even the ones you have to pay for like beatstars. But the only way to have full control, you need your own platform. That is why a website is basically imperative for establishing your "hub", so to speak.

Invest in yourself and you will find the return to be exponential.

Here's a roadmap

In short:

Study your target market and industry. Learn what works and what doesn't.

Build a website.

Build a commercially viable product.

Price yourself competitively in your market.

Once that's done, get out there and get known [for something] to separate yourself from the pack.

Sales will come [with effective promotion].

-----------

Best advice I could give you would be to go meet people and connect.

Blasting people with "check me out" links and messages rarely gets results.

-----------

Bottom line:

Everything in life worth something - costs.

So ask yourself -

What price are you willing to pay?

(post not directed at op specifically but as advice in general for those who share his angle)

Back