Selling a beat to a Youtuber

ProLibEnt

So I have a guy that wants me to make a beat with a specific sound to match a video he wants to monetize on Youtube. Of course I will charge him a flat fee to use the beat but as it relates to the video monetization part I'm a little stumped. How do I format an agreement with him regarding credit for views. Will contacting ASCAP help?

You could do a content ID thing where it scans the video and forces them to put an ad in front of it but it will probably really screw with the money they hope to make through monetization and end up being a big hassle for everyone... Beyond drawing up a contract and making sure they send you a report of their profits I'm not sure if there's a way to do it that won't muck up the standard monetization process. Maybe just have them sign something that says after x amount of plays you will receive x amount of the money from monetization. That way if it blows up you're covered... sort of.

To save the hustle, because this is tricky situation.

Just make a beat, sell it to the person. Tell him to put credits somewhere in exchange for the cut of monetization, then forget about it, buy Yourself a noodle soup from earnings, and move along on making, selling another beat. :)

So basically your saying whatever he gets from youtube won't really be worth it. Get the money upfront and get promo.

So basically your saying whatever he gets from youtube won't really be worth it. Get the money upfront and get promo.

Unless he gets like 1mill views on the video with Your music its not really worth the headache, 1mill would be around 800-1k dollars. Thats just My opinions tho.
If You really want to dig in deeper, then get Yourself on bmi/ascap and TuneCore, at the last one You can split the earnings of the track I think.

Last edited:
Back