Selling a Beat. Publishing. Song title change.

Skoonova

I registered with ASCAP. Published a number of beats. I'm preparing my contracts for exclusive and non-exclusive sale. My question is who gets the royalties from publishing once the beat changes name and turns into song form? How does a preforming rights society recognize my beat if its being sold as a song under a different name? I'm working on writing contracts so I can travel to shows and try to sell my beats. Do you I need to add a publishing portion in the sale of a beat?

Last edited:
I registered with ASCAP. Published a number of beats. I'm preparing my contracts for exclusive and non-exclusive sale. My question is who gets the royalties from publishing once the beat changes name and turns into song form? How does a preforming rights society recognize my beat if its being sold as a song under a different name? I'm working on writing contracts so I can travel to shows and try to sell my beats. Do you I need to add a publishing portion in the sale of a beat?

From what I gather since you own the entire original work (eg: the beat you published) any monies generated from just the sale of the beat go to you. EG: Selling an instrumental album, for example. (You can state this in your licensing agreement. (Some beat buying artists may not appreciate this but if its in your agreement...it is what it is) In terms of the new work (eg: the beat with vocals) you and the artist(s) need to draw out a split sheet stating what part/percentage of the song you own as per your purchase agreement. Then I believe you need to re-register the work you did [once the song is completed] with the song's new name under your name.

Last edited:
exactly that ^^^^^^

register new uses with correct names and splits as agreed either by purchase or other arrangement; simples

Back