Selling Acoustic Covers

Gar23

I'm looking for some advice in dealing with mechanical licensing. I have been working on a collection of acoustic covers from various bands that I was only intending to publish on youtube. However, with the amount of time i've given them I am seriously considering taking them and making an album to be professionally released. I've never tried to sell covers/rearrangements of other people's music before so I'm trying to get all of my bases covered. I am planning on having an album of about 8 tracks in total and they are all about 5-6 minutes each. Going through Harry Fox (and assuming i'll get the ok from the label) and getting licenses for 50 pdd's for each track this puts my total licensing/royalties cost at about $130 assuming i have all of my facts straight to begin with.
Is there a type of license that I can get that will allow for me to make royalty payments based on ACTUAL sales and not just anticipated sales? I'd much rather pay the per track fee and deal with the royalties as sales are made. Is such a thing possible?
Is going directly through Harry Fox worth it or should I just go through Cdbaby/Loudr since that's most likely where i am going to end up.
Anything else that might come up as an issue? Still trying to get all of the information i can so anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

The album is going to sound like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQnevMxFgI

Last edited by a moderator:
Gar23;4***8308 said:
Is there a type of license that I can get that will allow for me to make royalty payments based on ACTUAL sales

This all comes down to what you negotiate.

Last edited:
Back