Seeking Advice

DJNW1

Hi

I am a producer from the south west of England, i've been producing my own music for a while now and a couple of old friends started to bring their guitars round and we would have drunken recording sessions, in my mind i was collecting recordings for sampling in the future, i moved to a different area but after a couple months arranged to meet with the guys again for a recording session but when we met things had changed, they were super serious about it and it was no longer just some drunken session, they had written some new songs and even had a band name and it soon became clear i wasn't part of 'the band', since then we have had a few sessions and I've put a few of our recordings out on my label, we've had radio play with BBC introducing in the midlands but nothing great has happened yet but we are about to enter in to a new session and we have all upgraded our instruments and equipment since last time and they are now much more accomplished musicians and have a feeling this could be the time to really take it to the next level,
to make something clear, although the band are super serious it is mainly based on ego, if it was left to them they would spend the rest of their days jamming in the living room talking about the day they make it expecting it to come knocking on their door. they have already turned down a gig in a local venue i got them which is home to all the bands on the local circuit because they believe their better than that, and maybe they are better than that.
what I'm asking is
if i work hard to promote this band and get them gigs and a deal are they just gonna push me to one side when a better offer comes along?
am i their producer? their manager? what is my role? and do we need contracts? despite what I've said about them, we are all good friends but i don't wanna be used
any thoughts or comments would be more than welcome.
Thanks

Discuss terms, get it written down in a contract.

Define your role. Who do they want you to be? What do you want to be? Do you want to be their producer, manager, or their b*tch?

From the looks of it, if you're getting them gigs, you are acting as a manager as well as their producer.

I'd also give advice to them (perhaps, you shouldn't)... But, getting play on BBC Introducing isn't a big deal, so if that has helped boost their ego... Remind them that unless they're making a living from their music, they are no better musically than the crazy woman on the corner flinging her cats at cars.

They don't decide if their music is good, the consumer does.

In regards to their character, and whether they'll push you aside. That's your judgement and call.

If that day does come, make sure you've set it up now that YOU get YOURS. Make sure people know you as the guy who's doing the behind the scenes work for them. Use it to brighten up your CV and gain the contacts that'll be beneficial to you later down the line.

Cheers,
Jordan

P.S. Don't be the b*tch - get a contract drawn up and signed.

If they don't want to do contracts, don't go any further with them - just remain friends.

P.P.S. Yes, I'm telling you to be unequivocally selfish. If people understand business, they'll respect you for it. That's not me saying be a jerk... But understand that you can still give huge amounts of value to people (that they'll appreciate), while keeping your interests in mind.

Last edited:
cosine all of the above

remind them that there is "music" (what they play and create) and then there is "music business" (how they are marketed, how they record, how they get things done, how bookings come about, etc).

In business people sign contracts all the time - it is essentially a mechanism whereby each party to the contract sets out what will be provided for what the other party does.

It may or may not include penalty clauses for failure to achieve outcomes; it should certainly provide a mechanism for either side to exit gracefully, if the other side is not fulfilling their obligations.

When doing contracts always involve a lawyer - ordinary people do not realise the true meaning of some words when it comes to legally binding documents and can find themselves shafted without even realising it, simply because they used words they did not know the meaning of to create the contract

watch the Marx Bros

and read the script

Classic Scene Transcripts - Night at the Opera Contract Scene

or here (more context given)

A Night at the Opera - The Contract - The Marx Brothers

Back