Sample vocals from older songs allowed?

Beastie boys lawsuit
joyce hatto
that cuckabaroo song scandal thing
and lupe fiasco around my way song beef with pete rock

researched all those, sucks for them lol. That's another flaw with sampling right there, if you do blow up then you'll need to worry about companies with lawsuits. If I ever get in trouble for sampling [kingdom hearts 2] 40+ times in the future though, still worth it xD well, depending on how square feels about the situation of course.

It's not just samples, copyright of design patents, 50 cents -
Federal Judge Orders 50 Cent To Pay $17 Mil In Headphones Suit | Radar Online

KonKossKang, as long as you and others are aware of the possible consequences, were all adults on here with the right to make informed choices. ;)

anybody else who come across this thread please read them links, that will be information you'll need to know too.
I'll still sample games/anime and will deal with them lol

YOU are ALL WRONG!!! You can sample Any song/vocals that you want regardless the copyright.. as long as you are not claiming it to be your own..... Every one who said "No" has obviously failed to do any real research...

Companies can still get at you if they want to regardless man. Square enix and capcom can do it at any time, any company can lol.

They can try to do anything they want.. But as long as you are not claiming it as your own orginal work, you can sample anything you want. Again, do your research. ...

I suggest that you do yours, because it sounds like you have bought into the internet myth that the doctrine of fair use gives you this right to use anything as long as you do not claim it as your own. This position/belief is plainly not true.

The doctrine of fair use applies for two purposes only:
  1. educational use in explaining something or completing an assessment task and
  2. critical review, where the reviewer uses part of the work to explain the reasons and ideas they are putting forward

Any other use is subject to the full provisions of copyright law including the need to license any and all parts of the work used, i.e. you are dead wrong about being able to use something for free

Failure to secure appropriate licenses because of a misunderstanding of the law on your part is no excuse when you are sued for damages both real and future: you will lose big time....

Again...... Unless you're making millions off of someone else's audio, it is NOT ileagle to use someone else's song as a sample for your own. Those are facts jack....

Look at all the rap and hiphop songs from the 80s up to todays date, the majority of all those songs are sampled. Rather it be a drum line, a melodie, or part of the song. IT IS NOT ILEAGLE TO USE A SAMPLE OUT OF ANOTHER SONG.... now if you were to use 20+ seconds of said audio and claim it to be your own orginal work, then they can take legal action... All of Kayne West's beats are sample from 50s 60s 70s songs. And i guarantee if you looked into it he did not get permission for any of those samples that he Used

I guarantee that if you look into it you will find he did get clearances - ever heard of the myth of the gangsta image in hip-hop/rap?: they wear one set of clothes for the punters but wear another set when doing business

there is no minimum sample length nor is there any different law for one period of time over another the law remains the same; it is the willingness of the copyright owners to sue that is at play in most of these cases

you seem to have been educated by someone who does not understand the law or how business works: some folks will sue on principle (Metallica for example suing individual down-loaders) whereas others will wait until it is financially worth their while. I.E some people have so much money it doesn't matter to them if they take on a lot of cases, whereas others money is so tight they need to know they can win before starting; in either case there is no significant statute of limitations as copyright exists for so much longer (50-190 years)

please do some real research before you spout your nonsense again

its only copyright infringement if you're claiming someone else's work as your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
even if you cite your sources - which is what you are saying you are doing - you still have to acquire a license to use the source to make money otherwise you are infringing on the existing copyrights that exist in the original composition, the recording(s) and the publishing

i.e. nothing you have written so far has addressed the last two and barely scratches the surface on the first one

he also posted over here

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...are/connecting-akai-xr20-fruity-loops-260362/

I ordinarily do not out a member who has been banned for whatever reasons but in this case I am making the exception to explain why this thread may be the target for what seems like unprovoked abuse

he got a temp ban for abusive pm's

he has since come back with several other accounts which by terms of use gets you banned automatically and permanently and postings made (all abusive) deleted as well

he also posted over here

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...are/connecting-akai-xr20-fruity-loops-260362/

I ordinarily do not out a member who has been banned for whatever reasons but in this case I am making the exception to explain why this thread may be the target for what seems like unprovoked abuse

he has since come back with several other accounts which by terms of use gets you banned automatically and permanently and postings made (all abusive) deleted as well

he also posted over here

Just wondering BC.
I must check-out the terms of use properly, they could be handy to know, many thanks.

Last edited:
find them here

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/rules.php

the most important part of them is that they are extended by any policy decisions/posting guidelines posted as stickies by mods or admins or advised to you in a warning or infraction, i.e. they are not fixed in stone although any posting guideline policy decision warning/infraction is meant to be based within the broader framework of the TOU, rather than contradicting them

categories for warnings/infractions include
  • Inappropriate Language
  • Insulted Other Member(s)
  • Signature Rule Violation
  • Spammed Advertisements
  • Custom Infraction which covers just about anything including
    • duplicate posts
    • duplicate threads
    • no content
    • piracy general
    • piracy - commercial
    • postcount bump spam
    • self-promo spam
    • sigrule violation
    • software sales
    • spamvertising
    • threadbumnping advertising
    • trheadbumping
    • threadjacking
    • wrong forum

repeated abuse can lead to temporary or even permanent bans

creating a duplicate account will get the primary account suspended for 1 month and the secondary account perma-banned

repeatedly creating duplicate accounts will lead to all accounts being permanently banned

that pretty much summarises it

find them here

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/rules.php

the most important part of them is that they are extended by any policy decisions/posting guidelines posted as stickies by mods or admins or advised to you in a warning or infraction, i.e. they are not fixed in stone although any posting guideline policy decision warning/infraction is meant to be based within the broader framework of the TOU, rather than contradicting them

categories for warnings/infractions include
  • Inappropriate Language
  • Insulted Other Member(s)
  • Signature Rule Violation
  • Spammed Advertisements
  • Custom Infraction which covers just about anything including
    • duplicate posts
    • duplicate threads
    • no content
    • piracy general
    • piracy - commercial
    • postcount bump spam
    • self-promo spam
    • sigrule violation
    • software sales
    • spamvertising
    • threadbumnping advertising
    • trheadbumping
    • threadjacking
    • wrong forum

repeated abuse can lead to temporary or even permanent bans

creating a duplicate account will get the primary account suspended for 1 month and the secondary account perma-banned

repeatedly creating duplicate accounts will lead to all accounts being permanently banned

that pretty much summarises it

Much obliged, Bandcoach.

Back