Sample clearing??

M&I

How to get samples cleared for the radio? Where can I look at the rules and is it a expensive process?

Contact your countries collection society such as PRS for a start then get involved with the labels licensing department.

to chime in, i'd like a little advice in this department too. my collaborator and i have an EP that's being mixed for release (he has a following in europe from his time with the group shahmen, so it'll be sold such that we'll be exposed to all publishing liabilities), and of the 7 songs there are 3 with samples.

2 are from underground artists on independent labels, but one is from jerry cantrell of alice in chains. in other words, one is from a major label artist and we're worried that might be expensive.

obviously the only way to know for sure is to start the process of talking to lawyers, labels, etc, but if i can get some advice on what to be prepared for -- what kind of arrangement, and what kind of expense -- that would be much appreciated.

we're fine with royalties paid to sampled artists but i assume up-front costs come with this as well?

thanks in advance for any and all advice -- as you can probably tell this is my first time having to do this for a situation where the sales could actually expose me to a lawsuit if it's not done right. and it's my collaborator's first time dealing with it too -- in the past, he didn't have to worry about clearing anything cuz all his past releases (with his earlier group's producer) were done with samples from random world music records that they didn't bother clearing.

Last edited:
Get a lawyer. "Sample clearing" is actually like "closing" on a house. It is a LOOONG process. You basically make an upfront or backend agreement to pay the performer's you've sampled...IF they even accept negotiations. You may get a seize and desist letter.

Get a lawyer. "Sample clearing" is actually like "closing" on a house. It is a LOOONG process. You basically make an upfront or backend agreement to pay the performer's you've sampled...IF they even accept negotiations. You may get a seize and desist letter.
bingo,bingo
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...1.1.0.260.1482.17j1j1.19.0.pfwc.1.UWNFyGKo-9Q

having a ent. lawyer is great for this
some will fly under the radar and could sell a album like the original threader starter and no one would be the wiser but it's best to be legal and honest

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

to chime in, i'd like a little advice in this department too. my collaborator and i have an EP that's being mixed for release (he has a following in europe from his time with the group shahmen, so it'll be sold such that we'll be exposed to all publishing liabilities), and of the 7 songs there are 3 with samples.

2 are from underground artists on independent labels, but one is from jerry cantrell of alice in chains. in other words, one is from a major label artist and we're worried that might be expensive.

obviously the only way to know for sure is to start the process of talking to lawyers, labels, etc, but if i can get some advice on what to be prepared for -- what kind of arrangement, and what kind of expense -- that would be much appreciated.

we're fine with royalties paid to sampled artists but i assume up-front costs come with this as well?

thanks in advance for any and all advice -- as you can probably tell this is my first time having to do this for a situation where the sales could actually expose me to a lawsuit if it's not done right. and it's my collaborator's first time dealing with it too -- in the past, he didn't have to worry about clearing anything cuz all his past releases (with his earlier group's producer) were done with samples from random world music records that they didn't bother clearing.

Do you mean The Shamen ie Mr. C (Richard West) and co?

---------- Post added 05-14-2012 at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-07-2012 at 12:06 AM ----------

I just returned from visiting S.E.Asia and couldn't believe that even major radio stations, used music and samples without paying for them. It was especially obvious in Philippines.

As much as everyone hates the major recording companies, you have to see their view, they should be paid for any voice or music samples used. As a youth I was never into hip hop rap etc, I was more into dance and you would forever hear familiar riffs on dance tracks and wonder did they get that legally? Probably not in the case of up and comers.

sample clearing

alkota, that was hands down the best clarification on sample clearing. That particular article should be a sticky somewhere in a forum. Have I been around this bit long enough to make a sticky suggestion? LOL

Back