Running A Label In Your Home

JMD_Music

Ok so I just had a quick question. I'm not sure if it's a bad question. Say you run your label out of your apartment and you build the studio in your home. So in your 3 bedroom apartment, you have your bedroom, your office, and a studio. Can you use the money the label generates to pay the rent for the apartment? Because even though you live there, it is the official headquarters of your label.

you'll have more freedom in house,not a condo or townhome
a finished basement would be nice area to run a beginner's studio

this is a basement build
Real underground project studio! - Gearslutz.com

you don't have to go this far though

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

I respond for the benefit of the whole community sir
others might find the information beneficial

Last edited:
Ok so I just had a quick question. I'm not sure if it's a bad question. Say you run your label out of your apartment and you build the studio in your home. So in your 3 bedroom apartment, you have your bedroom, your office, and a studio. Can you use the money the label generates to pay the rent for the apartment? Because even though you live there, it is the official headquarters of your label.

You can pay the rent with any money you make ... doesn't matter where the money comes from.. Now if you are speaking on this from a tax break you can only right off a certain % of the apartment not the entire amount. Most apartment complexes won't allow you to run a business from the unit you rent

running a business with high foot traffic is a bad idea for apartment owners. loud music often leads to angry neighbors, not to mention the security issues you'll have. run your business from an office, or a warehouse, and live in the office space instead. check your state laws to see if it's legal, here in texas it is as far as i know.

Last edited:
I'm gonna run the business from my home, but I will not build a studio there. I will just go to a professional studio. Why wouldn't I be able to run a business from my apartment?

I'm gonna run the business from my home, but I will not build a studio there. I will just go to a professional studio. Why wouldn't I be able to run a business from my apartment?

Because a lot of complexes have policy that says "no can do" so you would need to check with the apartment complex

Yea I read that but I was thinking, what would be their logical explanation? The only thing the business would do in accordance with the apartment would be receiving mail, but I will check.

Yea I read that but I was thinking, what would be their logical explanation? The only thing the business would do in accordance with the apartment would be receiving mail, but I will check.

If all you need is a place to collect mail then get a Pobox

lol thanks that completely blew my mind. I was thinking I would take a class in graphic design so I didn't need to pay someone to work with my site.

running a business with high foot traffic is a bad idea for apartment owners. loud music often leads to angry neighbors, not to mention the security issues you'll have. run your business from an office, or a warehouse, and live in the office space instead. check your state laws to see if it's legal, here in texas it is as far as i know.

exactly that's why I told him,he would have more freedom in a HOUSE, not a condo or a townhome
and a finished basement is a great area to house the studio part

I've already stated that I wouldn't even build a studio.

use the finished basement to run your business(office), a home with a walkout basement or with a attached garage that leads into your finished basement
this way you can keep clients,business associates out of your living space(ppl do steal)

Running a business from a rented property - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums I stay on sites like this save money on things so I spend my money on my business
Tax Deductions For Rental Property Owners

I've already stated that I wouldn't even build a studio.

That's a good way to go. However, after having my home broken into, I don't bring people to my home office unless their family. Since you're no building a studio in you home, I'm guessing it will go somewhere else. Either that or you'll be using other studios...

Which is it, I'm curious...

I'll be using other studios. I've been looking at different areas and looking at some prices.

That's good, I'd sugest working with studios that have the most activity in the indie music community. These are usuailly the guys with the most connections, and studio conversation can easily lead to making new ideas; not to mention, connections with other music organizations.

I was only looking at craigslist and just seeing what was there. But how would you know which studios were most popular. I never see anyone really advertise for studios. I'd love to work with good studios that I could afford.

Back