Royalty Rate for my music productions

mrskytown

hello im a producer and i sell my musical productions on-line and i grant my customers limited rights to use my productions and sell there newly created works, but when they go over there terms/ selling limit i want to put the royalty rate they would owe after they go over my terms and condition of the sales of there usage of my productions. im from Ontario Canada, is there, im doing my research on this whole thing, would like some info regarding my issue

you should simply price each sale over the agreed limit as a fraction of the original cost for specified number of sales; e.g.

a limited license to sell 2000 copies at $20 dollars gives a unit license fee of 1c. However ,you might want to make that payment a premium of double or quadruple to encourage them to negotiate a new license with you......

you should understand that unless you sign away the mechanical and performing rights associated with the work you should be receiving US$0.04 per sale as payment for writing the music as a mechanical royalty and the same again as a performance royalty if the track is performed at venue.

For this to happen, however, you need to be registered with a PRO and also have a knowledge of sales and performances

consult an attorney and your PRO for certainty in these matters

Back