Royalties, Itunes & Copyright?

Brownz

Sup guys, So i'v been researching about royalties and it says that on average a music producer gets 3% royalties for a single and im not getting an advance so that means if i made a beat for a rapper and its on Itunes and its $1.00 for that track that would mean i get nothing? (and plus woulden't the mastering engineer need a % aswell)? and how would i no if the artist got paid because i dont no if he got a download on Itunes on a track that i have royalties on?

Also can anybody recommend me a website (Im from England.) to copyright my tracks for cheap?

Thanks,
Brownz

Last edited:
_EVERYTHING_ depends on case-by-case, _written_ agreements in-place _before_ product is released. Study up on the biz, and _get it in writing!!_...

GJ

PS-- Not sure about the filing process in the UK. In the US, best option is physical application with the Library of Congress Copyright Office.

Last edited:
PRS in your neck of the woods. The mastering Engineer would own the sound recording copyright which can be registered with Sound Exchange. Also with iTunes downloads there's a thin called ISRC which provides the information. Artists, release, label ,etc. They track sells of the music. Just look up Copyrights (PRS), Sound Exchange and ISRC.

Hey Brownz

I don't know why you assume you'd make nothing - you'd make a few pennies on each sale. (3% of whatever each sale generates. - iTunes takes a certain amount of money per sale too.). Not totally sure about the master engineer %, not sure how they get paid :/

As to how you can get your money, producers are paid from the artist's royalties I believe. Therefore the artist or record label is responsible for paying the producers fees. I think the contract should contain information regarding royalty payment schedules (how often you get paid), and might include a clause that allows you to audit the accounts to check you're getting paid fairly. There isn't really a way to find out sales of artist's tracks otherwise, because it's all kept pretty confidential.

Copyright in the UK is an automatic right that is established once a piece of work is transfixed as a tangible item (i.e. sheet music or an audio recording). A lot of these copyright registration websites are just a waste of money for people in the UK, but you can protect your copyright cheaply at home. All you need to be able to do is prove that you created the song prior to the other party claiming ownership, so you can post the recording or sheet music to yourself via recorded delivery. Just put the envelope away somewhere and make sure you don't open it!

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info bros I really appreciate it, I don't no how much 3 percent of 79p would be thoe lol in any case ill check that IRS and sound exchange thing, time to google and research more.

Back