Registering music for TV commercials

C.G. Productionz

The Certified Genius
Hey whats up guys?

I had a question for any producers who have gotten placements on TV commercials or anyone with any knowledge on the subject.
Aside from ASCAP or BMI is there any other organizations the music should be registered with? I remember being told about another organization (aside from the PROs) a few years back but can't remember the name off the top. I remember the name of the organization being something along the lines of a musicians union which pays along with ASCAP and really pays more money to you for your production where as ASCAP pays you pennies at a time.

Last edited:
idk bout SESAC paying more but they are out there. They are very small and the larger two, ASCAP and BMI, both have networks where you can go and meet up local talent like your self. They even have workshops where big name artist and producers give insight on their process. But if you were interested in SESAC I would just remind you that they are small and I dont believe they run off a "blanket license" for concerts, clubs, broadway etc, where as the the other two do. If you song is going to be used you must first call and inform them then a local representative will to the event and see how much you should earn.

@Epotts I may have confused you but I am very familiar with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. I was actually referring to a separate entity from the PROs that pays the composers of the music for TV as musicians. I forget the name of the organization but the payout is much higher than the PROs

idk I thought harry fox does sample clearance and mechanical licenses...maybe that is what he talking bout idk

Harry Fox is for tracking your royalties and making sure that your record label and the PROs didnt miss any royalty money they may owe you.

No. Just make sure that cue sheets are submitted once your music is placed. The production company/music supervisor is in charge of this.

You might also be interested in TuneSat, they track performances of your music to ensure you are getting paid. Sometimes people will use your music w/o submitting the cue sheet in which case a discrepancy arises in royalties you are owed. Their site is here: TuneSat. Track. Protect. Collect.

SoundExchange is a good one for digital/online royalties monitoring and payouts.

I used to work at a jingle house. No one there has ever seen any royalties from commercials...except for one guy. Out of nowhere, he got a check for 8k for a commercial he did. Good luck getting that thing tracked. It can make you a lot of money, but it's not super easy to get anyone at BMI/ASCAP to listen to you. Mare sure the cue sheets are turned in to your PRO and register the work.

Back