Register an exclusive beat with ascap

datboysc

I recently sold an exclusive beat to an artist we signed contracts and everything. We registered the completed song with ascap. I'm the publisher and she the performer and of course I made the beat. Can I register that beat with ascap and do I still have to include her in on it even if its an instrumental.

Is there a way I can subscribe to this thread without commenting? I'm curious to know the answer as well.

Last edited:
if you are just registering the instrumental with ascap, then you don't have to include her. but since you sold the beat to her as an exclusive, then you have to register her as the performer of that track. when i sold to an indie artist, i registered the song as a whole. i even included the people i sampled the song from, so they would get credit as well.

if you are just registering the instrumental with ascap, then you don't have to include her. but since you sold the beat to her as an exclusive, then you have to register her as the performer of that track. when i sold to an indie artist, i registered the song as a whole. i even included the people i sampled the song from, so they would get credit as well.

Oh okay I was curious on this topic. I was thinking about putting the title of the song and putting a dash then instrumental. But thanks for the reply.

You should split the writer share to whatever you agreed upon since you wrote a share of the song (as the producer, If it's agreed upon). if you are the sole publisher, you get that whole percentage of the publisher share.
It doesn't matter if you register the beat unless you've previously licensed it out, under another or the same title, to parties to use as is, the instrumental (even in the instance where an exclusive agreement requires all other parties associated with the licensed material to quit using, or surrender the material (you still gotta get those royalties from the instrumental already being placed for a time period already)).
What you have are 2 separate tracks (an instrumental and a song). Getting the song placement won't generate revenue for the instrumental, and vise versa.
So, unless you have licensed out the beat to, let's say, film/ tv, where they don't record over your beat and use only instrumental... you don't need to register it with a PRO/ PRA, just the complete song.

Back