Record label growth troubles

Ferione

Dear all,

I am posting this under my producer alias (no record label account here yet) and i am worried breaking the rules if i do put up the links to my record label. So instead Google for Firespace Recordings.

Problem 1:
Struggling to get fans to repost our songs (or share / retweet) our posts.

Problem 2:
Many at the record label are (part-time) producers and do not do a lot of activities that are social media worthy except making music (release).

Problem 3:
Record label content is scarce and quite narrow. Because you can't make it personal step outside of the comfort zone like an artist / producer can. Take for example my twitter account, i am a producer but also a nature lover, so it is possible to post nature pics on my page as well, that kind of an idea.

Either way especially problem 2 is killing here. And after a lot of attempts i come to you guys (and girls) to seek help / advices.

What have i tried so far?
- Using Hootsuite* (and thus working with a calander)
- Spread out content over a period of time (6 weeks as of now)
- Promotion channels to ask (some do upload, many never to be heard of again)
- Repost requests (both paid* and non paid)
- Interacting with our artists (for the little content they provide)
- Facebook page promotion (helps a little if you narrow the target group precisely)

*I prefer to use Hootsuite free but then you don't get that super useful planning calander inside Hootsuite.

**For the sake of being curious and they have to pay their bills too i tried it. It does help a little but it is not worth the investment 9/10 times.

Goal
Of course a record label is there to try to sell a song (In whatever form you can think off) but our reach is so limited that this is very hard to do. To most of them, if they can make a living (even if it is part-time) is the final goal. They do not need 100k per year, just enough to do what they love most and it can pay the bills.

Any suggestions are welcome :)!

my suggestion would be to attend some music events. producer showcases, music mixers, etc. get some business cards made, interact with other artists, tell them about your label, talk to major label execs, etc.

There are a thousand record labels out there and anyone can set one up at any time for no cost.

You need to use every platform possible and also have an ace up your sleeve that isn't a gimmick.

I would consider working locally. Online you have competition with almost every other musician in the world- but in your town you have a lot less competition. Try working with local clubs to get music played to the public. Get some local DJs onboard (if they like your stuff, obviously). Having tracks played to the public is a big draw for artists. Network with people actually in person rather than over the internet.

If you are working locally, it makes sense to try and enlist reasonably local artists too.

P.S. I'm not an expert, I've never made money out of music in my life and I'm not on any label at all- but that's what i'd try

Last edited:
my suggestion would be to attend some music events. producer showcases, music mixers, etc. get some business cards made, interact with other artists, tell them about your label, talk to major label execs, etc.

True, gaining visibility online is only half the work. You gave me some inspiration, true to your name i would say haha ^^!

There are a thousand record labels out there and anyone can set one up at any time for no cost.

You need to use every platform possible and also have an ace up your sleeve that isn't a gimmick.

I would consider working locally. Online you have competition with almost every other musician in the world- but in your town you have a lot less competition. Try working with local clubs to get music played to the public. Get some local DJs onboard (if they like your stuff, obviously). Having tracks played to the public is a big draw for artists. Network with people actually in person rather than over the internet.

If you are working locally, it makes sense to try and enlist reasonably local artists too.

P.S. I'm not an expert, I've never made money out of music in my life and I'm not on any label at all- but that's what i'd try

True, record labels have no regulation by law (or at least very little) so the possibilities are endless (and the way where to look first as well).

A lot less competition = a lot less reach. And our fanbase is pretty international to be honest. I do agree on the getting DJs onboard, that is something i have to implement, fast!

in any case, i would like to thank you both for the ideas, they have struck me several lightbulbs for sure.

Lastly, what i should mention is something i figured out this morning. I got some promotion channels to promote our stuff. They did, and it got overall 15k - 20k plays per song. Several 100 hearts and a fair few comments / reposts, though on our record label it is just barely 100 plays and a few hearts and no comments

I guess that fans do listen a lot at the promotion channels but rather not click through to the record label channel (or the artist channel). If this is how promotion works nowadays i am fine with that. I worried that my promotion skills flawed but in fact, i was misunderstanding how promotion works.

I feel especially great now promoters are getting back to the record label saying they want to hear more in the future as we release good music. And those channels are not small with a range from 1k to well over 150k fanbase.

Back