Record Label?

KillerKraut

Producer, DJ, Label Owner
Here's the issue, if it even is an issue.

I'm opening a record label with some EDM producers I know, its gonna be flat out EDM (EDM - Electronic Dance Music). I'm a producer and DJ myself so I know the laws of sampling, copyright, and piracy (probably not all of them, no ones perfect). I know some contacts that can get me live concerts easy, maybe even start a mini-tour (or whatever). I also know sources to digitally distribute the music to stores such as iTunes and Amazon.

Before I do this, if I even do this, is there anything I should be worried about? Legally, Financially, Morally... anything? I know some of you out there are experienced with this kind of deal, and I just want your opinion. Past experiences, problems, concerns... anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
plan in detail
get an ent. lawyer
have a detailed budget
sir read this here

you can click on the banner in my sig. for one free hour of consulting
blessing on your business ventures

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Here's the issue, if it even is an issue.

I'm opening a record label with some EDM producers I know, its gonna be flat out EDM (EDM - Electronic Dance Music). I'm a producer and DJ myself so I know the laws of sampling, copyright, and piracy (probably not all of them, no ones perfect). I know some contacts that can get me live concerts easy, maybe even start a mini-tour (or whatever). I also know sources to digitally distribute the music to stores such as iTunes and Amazon.

Before I do this, if I even do this, is there anything I should be worried about? Legally, Financially, Morally... anything? I know some of you out there are experienced with this kind of deal, and I just want your opinion. Past experiences, problems, concerns... anything. Thanks.
What fataltone said, also appoint the majority owner as the CEO/President/General Manager...or final word "decider". Do not leave this up to chance. Sounds like you have a group of creative types and no logistics based businessmen, the owner should take that role and gravitate more towards that and not the boards. IMO, you should start your own company and deal with the other producer's as subcontractor's or work with them via joint venture/partnership agreements. This makes the execution of the work seamless and back end marketing/accounting easy to track.......everyone get's out what they put in;)

We already made an agreement to have me be C.E.O. of the company, due to me having more financial experience, connections, and outlets of media and distribution. They're, as you said, wanting to be more of subcontracts, or clients... rather than employee's. But I've got most of it covered... I just don't want to leave ANY factors out.

What fataltone said, also appoint the majority owner as the CEO/President/General Manager...or final word "decider". Do not leave this up to chance. Sounds like you have a group of creative types and no logistics based businessmen, the owner should take that role and gravitate more towards that and not the boards. IMO, you should start your own company and deal with the other producer's as subcontractor's or work with them via joint venture/partnership agreements. This makes the execution of the work seamless and back end marketing/accounting easy to track.......everyone get's out what they put in;)

yeah this something I would bring up in consultation sessions you have to have a led
I didn't know that you guys where sharing the burden of building capital for the start-up
that why you need to put together a questionnaire for you and your partners know exactly who will be doing what and that also determines the money splits along with the music that created

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

We already made an agreement to have me be C.E.O. of the company, due to me having more financial experience, connections, and outlets of media and distribution. They're, as you said, wanting to be more of subcontracts, or clients... rather than employee's. But I've got most of it covered... I just don't want to leave ANY factors out.

then all you have to do is run it like a real indie label period
you only employees should be you and maybe a secretary

let me know if you need some help sir
looks like you have a great business opportunity

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I'l definitely go to you if I need any consultation or help.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help, I'l definitely go to you if I need any consultation or help.

Thanks again!

keep in mind you get one hour free so if you come with your question prepared it could be very useful to you

I'm going to wait for a while before I start releasing music as far as signed artists

my plan at the moment is to build credibility build more concrete contacts and experience so I can show my value to angel investor(s)
and indie artists because if an artist is smart they can do everything themselves and keep more money
so you must provide something the artist themselves can't do alone..

Back