Reality Check: What if you never succeed? What then?

acetheface954

There are options. You--have options. I mean realistically speaking a large percent of us won't succeed at doing what we love do to self pity, doubt,...life. But this doesn't mean you should get out of them game. Hell no. I think what you want to do is buy yourself some time by developing a Plan B. Take an artist Missy Elliot for example. She pretty much figured out that no one would put out an artist such as herself do to the way she looked. But it didn't stop her. No she stayed in the game by working behind the scenes until she had enough to try again. I think we all know what happened after that.

So to keep things short I just want to conclude this by saying don't give up. If you're as good as you believe you are I say keep doing it. If money is the issue or timing then just take a step back, continue practicing, stay connected with what you do, and come back when you've acquired what you need to make it happen. You wouldn't believe how many people in the business struggled for so many years before they finally made it big. You can do it to. Just don't lose hope.

For me personally it's easier to produce music thinking that no one will like it. There is no pressure I can make what I want and like even if the majority of my listeners don't. I gave up the dream of becoming a superstar producer long time ago and, to be honest, that actually helped me get better... I'm not stopping tho :cool:

To add to your point

We are very lucky to live in a time when there are numerous opportunities available to everyone who makes music. Years back, you could have dedicated yourself for years and never seen the light of day, now anyone who is considering taking their music /art / passion / hobby / career to the next level is now able to do so - in some cases, from the comfort of their own home.

For me personally it's easier to produce music thinking that no one will like it. There is no pressure I can make what I want and like even if the majority of my listeners don't. I gave up the dream of becoming a superstar producer long time ago and, to be honest, that actually helped me get better... I'm not stopping tho :cool:

lol clearly this isn't for you considering the fact that you've found contentment. me on the other hand, I have dreams. I don't care for the popularity. I just want the world to move to my rhythm.

To add to your point

We are very lucky to live in a time when there are numerous opportunities available to everyone who makes music. Years back, you could have dedicated yourself for years and never seen the light of day, now anyone who is considering taking their music /art / passion / hobby / career to the next level is now able to do so - in some cases, from the comfort of their own home.

I know. I love being able to do it all. except for promoting. OMG that is no bueno when you have absolutely no plan lol.

Having a "Plan B" is important. But also, having a reasonable "Plan A" is just as useful. For the vast majority of people in this industry, it will likely take years and years to get where you want to go. If you already know that coming in, you'll make better decisions.

Expect nothing - it makes you work harder.

If you're in it for big, fast cash, and you expect big, fast cash, you'll probably be disappointed. If you expect a very difficult set of challenges ahead for yourself, then you'll be ready to do what you need to do to overcome them.

Very encouraging.

The great thing about music is it's an opinion based industry. Everyone can say your style isn't to their taste.

But you can create a market for yourself.

If you plug away at it, you may find a niche for yourself where all of a sudden you're making a living or even become a superstar...

I mean, look at Flying Lotus... He started out just by being an introvert who did musical experiments...

Another thing... I think if you want to do music, on whatever level... You have to have your risks spread out.

The whole concept of "don't put all your eggs in just one basket". Whether it's balancing a day job and music, whether it's multiple businesses. Whatever it is, it's always good to have multiple revenue sources. (which ties in with the plan B bit.)

But you can create a market for yourself...
I mean, look at Flying Lotus...He started out just by being an introvert who did musical experiments...

creating a new market is exactly what I've been trying to accomplish! I found an untapped market but I want to transition over to the type of music that they listen to and blend it with my own.
it would free up so much space and create more opportunities for newcomers to be heard. its like a new app with potential. weird at 1st but with the right formula and the right people using it it could be the next big thing. only problem is is that they aren't online as they can be, yet.

off topic: not to take away from flying lotus but I don't think he counts. if I'm correct didn't he come from money? I know he has a musical background so it was already laid out for him if you ask me. and on another note, I have yet to hear his music. all accept one. the track called dance of the pseudo nymph. OMG that track blew me away. I'm just upset that it wasn't over three minutes lol.

Having a "Plan B" is important. But also, having a reasonable "Plan A" is just as useful. For the vast majority of people in this industry, it will likely take years and years to get where you want to go. If you already know that coming in, you'll make better decisions.

Expect nothing - it makes you work harder.

If you're in it for big, fast cash, and you expect big, fast cash, you'll probably be disappointed. If you expect a very difficult set of challenges ahead for yourself, then you'll be ready to do what you need to do to overcome them.

no my brother it will take years lol. that's a fact. nobody comes in with business sense. hell you never thought we'd have to deal with it until you start asking question such as "why are my numbers so low" and "how did this crap get to featured instead of mine that sounds actually better"? lol the dark days...

Last edited:
I've read a lot of articles about people's ascents to success, and really everyone's different. There's no set way to make it. Granted, I haven't "made it" yet, but I'll plug away at it regardless. I can't really walk away. It lingers at the back of my mind when I stop and I have to get back at it again. There's really no getting away.

If music is something you are passionate about, shoot for it. Several people will try to "reason" with you and tell you that you aren't making a very wise decision, but others will see the spark. Listen to those people if you truly got it in you. You'll know. Competition in the music industry is fierce but people will recognize the diamonds in the coal pile. Make yourself stand from the countless amount of musicians out there and invest in yourself. Take chances but don't be a fool. Listen to your gut.

I read a pretty interesting article about Tycho yesterday. I didn't finish it, it was a bit of a long read, but the guy worked a decent job up to his 30's before his music became significantly popular. I'll include the link below for anyone interested. Read up on some Sonic Bids articles too. Really helped give me a lot of insight and motivation to keep taking strides.

How to make it in the new music industry: The long slow ascent of electronic star Tycho | PandoDaily

Last edited:
I've read a lot of articles about people's ascents to success, and really everyone's different. There's no set way to make it. Granted, I haven't "made it" yet, but I'll plug away at it regardless. I can't really walk away. It lingers at the back of my mind when I stop and I have to get back at it again. There's really no getting away.

If music is something you are passionate about, shoot for it. Several people will try to "reason" with you and tell you that you aren't making a very wise decision, but others will see the spark. Listen to those people if you truly got it in you. You'll know.....

^^This right here.

One thing I have learned over the years is that there is no 'one way' to achieve success in this business.

And since everyone's goals are different, to compare yourself (goal-wise) to anyone else is absurd.

Grind it out. If you really love this - there's no other option.

On the real tho, I do believe that 'success' (the success you desire) is attainable if you have realistic goals.

But in order to achieve it - you have to keep a realistic perspective and you've gotta do your homework...

Good luck.

See you at the top.

off topic: not to take away from flying lotus but I don't think he counts. if I'm correct didn't he come from money? I know he has a musical background so it was already laid out for him if you ask me. and on another note, I have yet to hear his music. all accept one. the track called dance of the pseudo nymph. OMG that track blew me away. I'm just upset that it wasn't over three minutes lol.

I'm unsure if "he came from money" but he does have a strong musical family. Alice Coltrane.

He interned at Stones Throw when they were first starting out in LA I believe. Then one day he sent his music to an Adult Swim competition when they were first looking for instrumentals for the breaks. And bam, Fly Lo was born.

I've slowly become a fan of his... Remember discovering him in 2009... Didn't think much of the 1983 album, I could see that it was a work in progress sort of thing - style wise... And then I heard Los Angeles... Parisian Goldfish is the one beat that really got me in to him.

See, I like the fact these instrumental producers do tracks that are short and sweet. I'm of the mold that you should leave them wanting more... Not less. And that's a vital philosophy that I have with anything that comes out of my record label.

There's so many options and career roads out there; realize that building relationships and protecting your reputation goes a long way. Learn different aspects of the business, start reading and getting advice from someone with more experience, and build your brand and expand your business. If sales are slow, make instrumentals to popular songs to bring more attention to you.Think of what you excel in musically with your production and offer collabs for 50% profit. Don't count out the small and even sometimes free projects they go a long way in building your resume and adds to your body of work. These are just a few of the many options that you have as a producer. Don't ever give up, nothing happens over night! Find people who really care about your career and want to help you grow and empower you!

Last edited:
For me, "making it" was honing my skills to be able to perform live. I did that. Would I take the wealth and accolades-HELL YEAH! But, for me, the satisfaction of attaining the musical skill to be able to play alongside world-class musicians is worth more.

Not succeeding isn't an option.
But I think my definition of success is a bit different. Fame can suck my balls basically. I'd hate every minute of it.
I'm more of a jack of all trades, mercenary ninjah. I can do music, audio design, visual design, film, a bit of tech, worked at a major distributor helping labels manage their digital affairs, directed music vids and now I'm designing audio hardware. I've seen enough of the major music industry to know that I really don't want to be a part of it. Something about coked up sharks in an ever shrinking pool... lol.

So yeah, musically I'm truly in it to just make and listen to crazy sounding shit I've never heard before, and just happy enough to be a part of it. But I really don't see how that would mean I can't be successful at the business end of it. Just means I have to be more creative about it and not try to ride a fluffy cloud into dreamland. Gauge where the industry is going in 5 years and try to be there 3 years from now. I'm in a bit of a lull now, but plans are brewing...

Not succeeding isn't an option.
But I think my definition of success is a bit different. Fame can suck my balls basically. I'd hate every minute of it.
I'm more of a jack of all trades, mercenary ninjah. I can do music, audio design, visual design, film, a bit of tech, worked at a major distributor helping labels manage their digital affairs, directed music vids and now I'm designing audio hardware. I've seen enough of the major music industry to know that I really don't want to be a part of it. Something about coked up sharks in an ever shrinking pool... lol.

So yeah, musically I'm truly in it to just make and listen to crazy sounding shit I've never heard before, and just happy enough to be a part of it. But I really don't see how that would mean I can't be successful at the business end of it. Just means I have to be more creative about it and not try to ride a fluffy cloud into dreamland. Gauge where the industry is going in 5 years and try to be there 3 years from now. I'm in a bit of a lull now, but plans are brewing...

ditto. I don't care for fame. I'd much rather be a faceless success story like a singer who is happy to write for others. I wouldn't hate to be known publicly though. I'd use it to my advance.

you mentioned something about an ever shrinking pool. is that a fact that you can speak on?

For me, "making it" was honing my skills to be able to perform live. I did that. Would I take the wealth and accolades-HELL YEAH! But, for me, the satisfaction of attaining the musical skill to be able to play alongside world-class musicians is worth more.

I envy you man. I really do. :)

Last edited:
What exactly defines success in the business of music for a creative? Outside of the obvious "superstar" ubiquitous known examples it starts to become subjective. Because of that I would advise the younger generation to make the proper analysis and come to your own conclusion on what success means to you

What exactly defines success in the business of music for a creative? Outside of the obvious "superstar" ubiquitous known examples it starts to become subjective. Because of that I would advise the younger generation to make the proper analysis and come to your own conclusion on what success means to you

Absolutely. "Superstar" is the 1%. You gotta know that going in.

IMO, you can achieve the same general "success" in the music industry as you can in any other.

There are plumbers who make minimum wage, and there are people who own huge plumbing supply companies that are relatively quite wealthy.

There are so many jobs in and around the world of music - and they pay anywhere from minimum wage to relatively quite wealthy salaries.

Absolutely. "Superstar" is the 1%. You gotta know that going in.

IMO, you can achieve the same general "success" in the music industry as you can in any other.

There are plumbers who make minimum wage, and there are people who own huge plumbing supply companies that are relatively quite wealthy.

There are so many jobs in and around the world of music - and they pay anywhere from minimum wage to relatively quite wealthy salaries.

I just wanted people to know that they have options, have a fallback plan, and you may not meet your goals as planned. or ever. but it doesn't mean there aren't alternatives like you said. maybe you suck at being a leaky faucet but you know about proper irrigation procedures. the point is not to quit before you've even started.

Of course everybody would love to be a superstar. But if it was that easy, being one wouldn't mean a damn thing. At the same time if that's the reason why you devote yourself to music {for the glitz and the glamour} then you should probably take a step back and reevaluate. As you get a little older and start networking you actually see how many people in the world are in the same boat as you and it's an eye opener once you realize that in reality you are just another brick in the wall. So it's better to have the mentality that you do what you love without expecting to be a superstar. I believe perseverance is key. But the ones that stick to it, stick to it because they love it for what it is and not the luxuries that could possibly come along with it. And it's definitely a case of "who you know" these days. With technology nowadays, musicians are a dime a dozen. I believe the major key point is to separate yourself from your peers through originality. There are a lot of "musicians"{I use that term loosely} but a lot of them lack substance and are stuck in a dream world. Those are the ones that take up a lot of space and oversaturate the industry. And create the illusion that it is impossible to get anywhere. But guaranteed they usually burn out young. and the real ones keep on, keeping on.

that being said: do what you love but stick to your "day job" until it's time. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Of course everybody would love to be a superstar. But if it was that easy, being one wouldn't mean a damn thing. At the same time if that's the reason why you devote yourself to music {for the glitz and the glamour} then you should probably take a step back and reevaluate. As you get a little older and start networking you actually see how many people in the world are in the same boat as you and it's an eye opener once you realize that in reality you are just another brick in the wall. So it's better to have the mentality that you do what you love without expecting to be a superstar. I believe perseverance is key. But the ones that stick to it, stick to it because they love it for what it is and not the luxuries that could possibly come along with it. And it's definitely a case of "who you know" these days. With technology nowadays, musicians are a dime a dozen. I believe the major key point is to separate yourself from your peers through originality. There are a lot of "musicians"{I use that term loosely} but a lot of them lack substance and are stuck in a dream world. Those are the ones that take up a lot of space and over saturate the industry. And create the illusion that it is impossible to get anywhere. But guaranteed they usually burn out young. and the real ones keep on, keeping on.

that being said: do what you love but stick to your "day job" until it's time. Just my opinion.

ha. who said it'd be easy? I just want to produce music man. I was actually born with the gift to create. it was passed on by my parents. my siblings are the same. so really I just want to create. forget that whole superstar stuff lol. I just want to create art. so I press on. perseverance like you said man.

Back