Realeasing musc during which quarters?

G

I've read and heard this on/off but I can't seem to find a website now. I want to know when music is released, during which quarters. I know that the Q4 is for the major acts that will pull the last leg. For example this year so far it has been Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar amongst others.

I've also studied that the first quarter is best for independent musicians.

Any help? I'd like to get more in depth with it as it relates to music.

Yes, the last quarter (holiday season) is generally when you don't want to release your new tunes, unless you're Mariah Carey, Chris Brown, or Bruce Springsteen. It's easier to get attention after the Christmas season is over, but I wouldn't go too early in the first quarter either-- the people need some recovery time.

Other than that, I'm unaware of any studies or projections that have been done to substantiate one quarter being better than another for indie artists. The reason for the Christmas season rush (for music and for the movies) is not only to cash-in on the spending spree, but also to squeek product in just before year's end (for awards consideration-- Grammys and Oscars).

GJ

The first quarter is the best time to release an album if you're independent. During Q4, you're competing with regular albums from the bigger stars along with holiday albums.

Back