Ready to start selling beats

ShySlugg

ive been producing for about 5 years and for the past 5 months ive been consistantly making good stuff and feel im ready to start selling. I just wonder how difficult it will be since i see so many people selling beats now, is it hard getting traffic to a site or a sound click? Ive been able to get stuff on promotional Youtube channels and some beat tapes. Another main reason i'm trying to start now is because i need to make an extra $200 a month and was wondering if this a possibility?

The most common [and smartest] approach IMO is to build a following on a site that has traffic [like SC] and then funnel that traffic back to your site.

As far as making an exact amount every month selling beats....

Its hard to say and it will rely heavily on your promotional efforts, sound quality, etc...

Different cats yield different results from different sites so you are just going to have to find a site and a marketing approach that works for you.... and the only way to find that out is by putting your music out there...and trial and error.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Of course it's a possibility, but it won't come easy. You'll need to work for it.

I agree and at the same time disagree with SFTRAXX.

Yes, build your own website - that foundation (what I call it) is the most important... But I would try and shy away from using Soundclick or any social media as the main platforms to try and drive traffic to your website. These platforms tend to take up A LOT of time, where you can yield similar results more efficiently by writing a blog, on your website and then using that as a sales funnel. So, to conclude, don't prioritise your social media efforts, at least not when you're getting started.

I completely agree with finding something that works for you, by the way. That's the best advice anyone can give you (other than working your a$$ off).

I have a few blog posts that you might want to check out on marketing, over on Internal Affairs. I imagine THIS specific post might be a good start for you - it seems to get a lot of people inspired.

Cheers,
Jordan

Of course it's a possibility, but it won't come easy. You'll need to work for it.

Yes, build your own website - that foundation (what I call it) is the most important... But I would try and shy away from using Soundclick or any social media as the main platforms to try and drive traffic to your website. These platforms tend to take up A LOT of time, where you can yield similar results more efficiently by writing a blog, on your website and then using that as a sales funnel. So, to conclude, don't prioritise your social media efforts, at least not when you're getting started.

I completely agree with finding something that works for you, by the way. That's the best advice anyone can give you (other than working your a$$ off).

I have a few blog posts that you might want to check out on marketing, over on Internal Affairs. I imagine THIS specific post might be a good start for you - it seems to get a lot of people inspired.

Cheers,
Jordan

I have to totally agree with Ex on this. Using social media as a way to sell beats is not a good way to do so. All you'll get is a bunch of wannabe singers and rappers with no cash saved up to build their would be career. You have to go where the money is and that means you yourself are going to have to put up some money yourself. People on social media don't have any money. They'll ask you stupid questions on how much the beat costs when really all they want to do is pay $5 for your work. Stay away from people like that. They are what they're willing to pay for your services.

Take this advice with a grain of salt though because social media can help. But as the days roll by and I see all the pitfalls guys like us will face on those platforms I don't really see them making sense unless you already have something that can be bought buy millions such as a completed record or a new car. Just beats? Seek out a service such as pmpworldwide that has a real clientele base with real money from what I see. Let that be a way for you to filter clients to your site. Soundclick... I can't believe that site is still operational. WTF man WTF...

Cheers,
Jordan
I agree with this - don't spend too much time working on a Soundclick or similar websites, because that is time you could be using trying to generate business for your own website.

Honestly, I would reach out to artists directly. Find someone who has a crew of rappers that they work with and give free beats to one of them, but let them know that you usually charge, say, $50 for a lease (knowing full well that you would be happy with $25). After giving free beats to that dude ask him to recommend you to his crew and that you can give them a discount because of their affiliation with them. Charge those rappers $25 per lease and they will feel like they are getting a good deal, whereas you're still getting the amount you really wanted.

Sounds like a twisted way to do things, but it does work...too many rappers expect free beats, but building solid relationships and creating a sense of "yo, this is a good deal from a good producer" can generate a lot of business.

JC

Back