Rapper wants to use my beats, help?

Legendary Beats

So a rapper contacted me about my beats and he said wants about 10 of them. I sent him approximately a minute long snippets of each beat and he finally replied saying he wants the publishing info and separated files for "mixing purposes". I'm just kind of confused on how to proceed from here. For publishing info I just assume I'd use my pseudonym correct? And for the seperate files I've been told by a few fellow producers to wait until he pays for them to send those right? And what exactly would I be sending? just the .flp file? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. He said it's for an EP btw so I assume he'll be making money off of this.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yea for publishing you would use either your real name or nickname. you would want to join either BMI or ASCAP Just in case for royalty collections. Usually file you would send for mixing would be in WAV format. dont send you work file (.flp) PLus make sure you discuss your payment arrangements before you send anything

Charge him up front, make sure you have a publishing company setup or writers affiliation setup in case there is anything on the back end. Never give out your sessions without getting some bread.

Charge him up front, make sure you have a publishing company setup or writers affiliation setup in case there is anything on the back end. Never give out your sessions without getting some bread.

THIS.

Don't send your separated WAV files without getting paid.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. New issue, one of the beats i'm selling to him contains a sample from a song that he wanted me to use. Now he's saying since he suggested it he should get half the profits if I lease it and resell it to others. Legally I'd get all the profits since I'm the one selling it right? Also for each of the tracked out things could I give him a WAV file of each instrument track?

What you need to do is charge him a licensing fee for each beat (composition) that he wants to use. The fee you charge is completely up to you. As for publishing, he is asking who your publisher is. If you don't have a publisher, then you are your own publisher. In this case, follow the previous advice and register your music with a performance rights organization (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI) BEFORE giving the tracked out files to him.

You'll also need to have a contract that states that you are not giving away any copyright ownership, even though the deal is exclusive. This ensures you'll be entitled to your royalties.

I tried registering with BMI and it says I need a custodial account (since i am a minor) and apparently you can only make one at the bank in person which right now isn't possible for me considering I'm on vacation in Europe. So will I just have to wait until I get back for the negotiation to go any further? And how exactly will the royalties work for me? He said that it's a "street EP" and there "is no budget except for the mixing and mastering and the promotion which he's paying for" so where would I be entitled to royalties? Every time it sells would I get a cut? Or every time he performs?

I tried registering with BMI and it says I need a custodial account (since i am a minor) and apparently you can only make one at the bank in person which right now isn't possible for me considering I'm on vacation in Europe. So will I just have to wait until I get back for the negotiation to go any further? And how exactly will the royalties work for me? He said that it's a "street EP" and there "is no budget except for the mixing and mastering and the promotion which he's paying for" so where would I be entitled to royalties? Every time it sells would I get a cut? Or every time he performs?

on a street EP you won't see any royalties most likely
99.9% unlikely

you should always register your copyright before you even think about announcing you're selling tracks
you can group register copyrights
a lot new to the game producers rush into being a online production sales without having their ducks in a row
and it's even harder for under age producers who may not have the full support of their parents
so they don't take care of the legal stuff

but as always you never know what song/album will blow up or get some serious buzz that could be great promotion for your production company
get legal as soon as possible

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
Back