Rapper Wants Exclusive...what about royalties?

lightspeed15

Hey guys, would appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.

A few months ago a rapper bought 2 beats from me as a premium lease. He has a meeting with a major publishing label coming up this week (not gonna say the name, but they're a top one). because of this he wants to buy exclusives of those beats from me.

My question is how do I ensure that I maintain publishing rights? Say the song gets big, how do I make sure I'm getting royalties and that constant revenue stream? This is admittedly my first time selling exclusive license, so I am not sure how make sure that I don't lose my possible revenue stream from royalties.

Thanks in advance!

My $.02 here (and I'm still figuring this part out myself)

I believe you need to get a split sheet together with the artist to come up with your % of ownership in the song.. That determines who gets what in terms of royalty percentages.

So I should work it out the artist himself via a contractual agreement on how much I should receive?

What about registering with BMI? Should I also do that?

So I should work it out the artist himself via a contractual agreement on how much I should receive?

What about registering with BMI? Should I also do that?

Yes. Work it out. Peep: By default (in this scenario) the song is split 50/50 ~ (Him) lyrics / (You) melody(beat). Based on a number of variables you may agree to move away from the 50/50 split (eg: you wrote the hook, a co-producer was involved, etc). Once you agree on the split then you can register the work (song) with your PRO and fill in those amounts.

Make sure you get ihis signature and correct legal info.

Good luck.

Back