Question regarding Copyright

terry_oi

TerryVibes Productions
Ok,this are probably silly questions,but here it goes..

1)Say i have registered the copyright for one of my beats.If i sell this beat with an exclusive license,what stops me from reusing/reselling that beat,since legally i can prove that this is still my beat?
Is there such a thing as a copyright transfer in this case,or do i still keep the copyright to the beat,but due to the contract/agreement with the buyer it's like he owns it?

2)s it necessary that i register with my own country's Copyright Office or any will do?eg. I live in Greece,is it ok to register with the US copyright office?

3)If i register a collection of beats at the same time(eg 10 beats) to save money,is it true that if i sell one of these beats i have to copyright the collection again for it to be valid?And if so,is the better option to register each beat separately then?

4)And finally,is it really necessary/recommended to register a beat before i sell the exclusive rights to it,or it's not that important,since i'll be giving away my rights to the beat anyway?What are the actual benefits of having registered it in this case?

Last edited:
terry_oi said:
If i sell this beat with an exclusive license,what stops me from reusing/reselling that beat,since legally i can prove that this is still my beat?

An exclusive license is an agreement between you and the licensee. The agreement is exactly what prevents you from reselling exclusively sold beats, because you can be sued for failure to comply to the terms set in the license. The license gives the licensee permission to exclusive make copies of your music for the purpose promo and sales.

terry_oi said:
Is there such a thing as a copyright transfer in this case,or do i still keep the copyright to the beat,but due to the contract/agreement with the buyer it's like he owns it?

The idea is to sell the license that gives other people the permission they need in order to legally make copies of your productions. You'll need to speak with a lawyer in regards to your license specifics.

terry_oi said:
Is it necessary that i register with my own country's Copyright Office or any will do?eg. I live in Greece,is it ok to register with the US copyright office?

My best guess is YES; however, consult with a entertainment attorney for a definite answer.

terry_oi said:
If i register a collection of beats at the same time(eg 10 beats) to save money,is it true that if i sell one of these beats i have to copyright the collection again for it to be valid?And if so,is the better option to register each beat separately then?

Why would it matter if you copyright them one at a time or all together? I'm not sure it does... Protect them all at the same time and save the money.

terry_oi said:
And finally,is it really necessary/recommended to register a beat before i sell the exclusive rights to it,or it's not that important,since i'll be giving away my rights to the beat anyway?What are the actual benefits of having registered it in this case?

Don't give away the rights to music created by you. The only time you'd be required to relinquish your rights is on a Work for Hire type arrangement. This is where people hire you to make a custom tracks for them specifically. In that case, just take the money and leave. Let them worry about copyrights.

The idea is to make money with your music. If you're not doing that, then nobody will care enough to steal your beats. And, even if they do, the chances are their music will flop. So, just do what you can to protect yourself and start selling.

Back