Question on How to Stop Illegal Downloads

acetheface954

maybe its been thought of already and failed but i'll ask anyway. so here it is. why doesn't the music business work with ISPs, mobile carriers, and whoever else out there to prevent their users from illegally downloading musical content through their online devices by tracking their IP addresses and smartphone numbers?

i mean imagine this. a cap on how many times a person can stream a song every month. a bill from your ISP or mobile service provider that says you must pay for these songs that you downloaded that belong to abc123 records bat the foot of your bill after you thought you got them for free lol. doesn't this make sense? wouldn't it work?

Last edited:
The writing is on the wall... don't try to stop illegal downloads. The smartest sharks in the biz have been contemplating this problem for a while. Nobody wants online Fascism... pretty apparent w/ the SOPA and Protect IP legislation getting slapped like the dirty ***** it was. People will steal shit and people will pay for shit...

The bottom line is everyone has been coming at this problem totally backwards.

Instead of trying to cut off the SUPPLY of illegal music sharing (like they've been doing so far)... how about trying to lower the DEMAND for it??

AKA sell music for cheaper... take advantage of manufacturing costs being down to $0 and pass those savings to the consumer. If albums all cost $4.99 people would buy the shit out of them.

Give people incentives to purchase... the album comes with a DVD, a t-shirt, a free ticket to a live performance... etc etc etc.

Offer low quality versions of your music for free on your own site... 100% legal. Then if you want the real crisp Hi-Fi versions, that's what you pay for.

There are soooo many things you can do - its endless. But they're all on the DEMAND side of the illegal piracy supply/demand model. The bottom line is its been proven time and time again there is no way for you to shut down the supply... cut off one head and two more grow in its place.

The bottom line is everyone has been coming at this problem totally backwards.

Instead of trying to cut off the SUPPLY of illegal music sharing (like they've been doing so far)... how about trying to lower the DEMAND for it??

AKA sell music for cheaper... take advantage of manufacturing costs being down to $0 and pass those savings to the consumer. If albums all cost $4.99 people would buy the shit out of them.

Give people incentives to purchase... the album comes with a DVD, a t-shirt, a free ticket to a live performance... etc etc etc.

Offer low quality versions of your music for free on your own site... 100% legal. Then if you want the real crisp Hi-Fi versions, that's what you pay for.

There are soooo many things you can do - its endless. But they're all on the DEMAND side of the illegal piracy supply/demand model. The bottom line is its been proven time and time again there is no way for you to shut down the supply... cut off one head and two more grow in its place.

wow. so then this truly is the end and the start of something troublesome for all parties. except for the consumer of course. i really wish i started in the 80s. hell even the 90s were better than this. but i am still hopeful that something good will come from all this for the creators. great post, world wide. i love your ideas. too bad you aren't an industry leader.

The writing is on the wall... don't try to stop illegal downloads.

but then what? what is to be gained by not stopping it? depend solely upon touring, merchandising, and getting paid off sponsoring product lines?

The main issue is relevancy (due to the decentralization of content/leveling of distribution access) NOT piracy which is why 99% of all major urban artists MUST release the majority of the material for FREE via mixtapes, promo records, freestyles, etc...

...which is why 99% of all major urban artists MUST release the majority of the material for FREE via mixtapes, promo records, freestyles, etc...

I'm still surprised at the amount of indies I see and talk to (with no following/or a small following) still trying to sell their music....and when I tell them it might be better to pass out their music and focus on other ways of monetizing, they give me this "are you serious" look....

I'm still surprised at the amount of indies I see and talk to (with no following/or a small following) still trying to sell their music....and when I tell them it might be better to pass out their music and focus on other ways of monetizing, they give me this "are you serious" look....

I know exactly how you mean. After seeing that reaction, people usually ask, "Why do I need a website to sell beats?" -_- smh

99% of all major urban artists MUST release the majority of the material for FREE via mixtapes, promo records, freestyles, etc...

word...only SELL when there's a significant demand for you work.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

...classic case of everybody and they momma tryin' to squeeze blood from a turnip...

Back