Question for Experienced Producers licensing music to Reality TV

cpm0002

Hey this goes out to the people who have experience with licensing music to reality television.

I received my first master recording license agreement today from a reality tv show and the first line is:

"In consideration of the sum of one dollar"

Does this mean they will only pay me $1.00? I know for sure that this tv show pays thru BMI, which I am with, and each time my music is played on air, I will get a check thru BMI. But will it be $1.00 each time it will be played?

Thanks!

Hey this goes out to the people who have experience with licensing music to reality television.

I received my first master recording license agreement today from a reality tv show and the first line is:

Does this mean they will only pay me $1.00? I know for sure that this tv show pays thru BMI, which I am with, and each time my music is played on air, I will get a check thru BMI. But will it be $1.00 each time it will be played?

Thanks!

I'd have to see the whole contract as you're leaving out key info. You'll get paid based on how many times the song is played through the show: transitions, intro, outro, scenes etc.

You don't know how much you're going to make until you get your 1st royalty check. Check the sites rates to get a broad idea of what you could make but again you wont know until you have a check in had with your cue sheet listing

Ps, in a lot of agreements you have to charge a consideration fee (this is not your payment for licensing, it's just to make it legit and binding) but again i'd have to see the agreement

Pm if you don't want to post it here.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Yes Maybe there is a Chance that it is $1 dollar but it can amount to alot cause usually your compensation is based on a % of viewers. So say the show comes on at 9pm and there are 10,000 viewers that night and your deal is 10% so the check you would naturally get would be $1000 just for the first night. or if your deal was 100% then you would get $10,000 due to the amount of viewers

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

If your deal is like that then you have to remember that alot of people can be watching the show and the success of the show can create a long term income.

Hi cpm,

In the world of music licensing and royalties, the royalty fee for the "performance" of your music is set by your PRO, which in your case is BMI. They will monitor the performance, and collect the appropriate royalties for such performances and issue you a check for your share of royalties. The $1.00 that you see in the contract, is likely the "licensing fee". Since, in order to use a musical composition in a "TV Show", one needs to obtain a synchronization license. The $1.00 is what they are attempting to pay you for that synchronization license.

Typically, the fees paid to a music publisher for a "synchronization license" will range anywhere from $1,500.00 to $3,500 or more, depending on how the music will be used in the production. The royalties paid are a completely different matter.

Hi cpm,

In the world of music licensing and royalties, the royalty fee for the "performance" of your music is set by your PRO, which in your case is BMI. They will monitor the performance, and collect the appropriate royalties for such performances and issue you a check for your share of royalties. The $1.00 that you see in the contract, is likely the "licensing fee". Since, in order to use a musical composition in a "TV Show", one needs to obtain a synchronization license. The $1.00 is what they are attempting to pay you for that synchronization license.

Typically, the fees paid to a music publisher for a "synchronization license" will range anywhere from $1,500.00 to $3,500 or more, depending on how the music will be used in the production. The royalties paid are a completely different matter.

Well said.

Last edited:
Back