Question About Youtube Thumbnails

LJC

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I ask that you please excuse any improper etiquette herein.

Having said that, I have a question regarding thumbnails and cover images on Youtube. Let me just be direct: You know how when you put a beat on Youtube, you also accompany a photo with it? My question has to do with the photo itself. Here's the question: Can you take an image online (such as a picture of a rapper for example), and modify it in an image manipulation program, and then use that photo on your beat that you upload to Youtube? That is, are there legal concerns involved? Can you still monetize that video (more of a question for the Youtube monetization team, but if you know - I would appreciate knowing)? In other words: Is there any problem in doing this?

I see a lot of beat producers who take images of, say, NF, or Eminem, or Post Malone and add their watermark over it. I've never really met one of these beat producers, but I'd like to know the details behind this whole "image-making" thing. If you all have any other additional tips or must-mentions that I missed, please feel free to inform me! I would love to learn!

P.S.: What about other websites? SoundCloud? BeatStars? And others; do the same or similar rules apply?

Thanks,

LJC.

It's pretty simple actually: you can't use other people's images, unless explicitly stated that they can be used for other work. It is, of course, another thing whether or not anyone's gonna care enough to take action against you (most probably if someone does, they'll just ask you to take down the video or remove the image).

It's pretty simple actually: you can't use other people's images, unless explicitly stated that they can be used for other work. It is, of course, another thing whether or not anyone's gonna care enough to take action against you (most probably if someone does, they'll just ask you to take down the video or remove the image).

Hi Krushing,

Thank you for your reply!

So to me, it sounds like this: Don't use photos you find on the internet (unless you check policies first). Is that basically correct (if you want to be safe)? I'm honestly looking for the safest option.

Back