Question about signing a track to a label

tomhold

Hi, I send a demo to a label and they accepted to release it, but then I did some research about the label and is quite new and it lacks of concept. So I don't know to release it, it would be my first release. What should I do, I don't know to much about musical marketing. Thanks

In my opinion, you have two options:

1. Go DIY, and Do It Yourself.
2. Go with the label and hope they know what they are doing.

Option 1 will be more time consuming, but you keep full control. It is also more of a beneficial learning experience for you.

Option 2 gives you a different experience. Arguably one which is less beneficial.

My personal recommendation?

If the label are putting up a reasonable advance to help fund the release, I'd say you might as well go with them. You don't know what that relationship could turn in to - and that label COULD become very successful in the future. You don't know what you'd miss out on (double edged sword in essence). Therefore, make sure you get a lawyer to check over everything before you sign any contracts.

I'd probably create a list - pros and cons of each option to you personally. That'll give you your best answer!

Whichever option you go with: I'd recommend you check out and sign up to the newsletter at internalaffairs.co. (Shameless plug) It should be very useful to you as I continue to add more content.

Hope I've helped,
Jordan

What Desire said... It's one track. You're not signed on for a 5-album quota or something. Voice your concerns to the label - if they don't help or come off as dicks, cancel the deal. I'm sure a new label wants to get it right tho, so you might be surprised.

Back